Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
NeyfunB
New Contributor
New Contributor

Any added Bloat to Pixel 5?

Does Optus add additional software to Android devices? I haven’t used an Android devices in years but when I did carriers added their own boot screens and software does this still happen. Specifically asking about the Pixel 5.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Nard_YC

Re: Any added Bloat to Pixel 5?

Hi there @NeyfunB, I don't believe we have any bloatware installed on our Google Pixel devices so you get that stock Android experience. However, I'd recommend heading into your closest Optus store to inspect the device just to double-check.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
AndS
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

@NeyfunBOptus based on feedback, phones and dongles I have bought that were from Optus (aka branded in some way Optus) then they all have the following:

1) Startup logo is usually Optus for phones

2) There is Optus branding in the menu for dongles.

3) Some features have been removed or disabled from Optus branded devices, but the original have them.

4) No additional apps installed that I have seen or read about in the last say 5 years.

5) If it's optus branded then updates need to be supplied by Optus, so if optus are slow or stop supporting the device then you will not get updates. You can always try to root the phone and hack the original OEM firmware on the device if it can be found, but this can be tricky.

So in summary, no bloatware but branding and feature changes are made.

NeyfunB
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thank you for the detailed response. Not sure why Android users have to put up with that crap. I’ll stick to what I have now. Appreciate your response.
0 Kudos
Top Contributors