Searching...

Mobile

Android Devices - Nothing New.

Raggie

Hi Optus. 

I have been a loyal customer of Optus for about 18 years. I started with a Prepaid phone and since then have had 4 full plans with you. My Plan is about to expire and i dont think i will be renewing - The cause: Devices. 

I am an Android User and I would like an Android device - I understand sone devices i.e the Pixl are limited due to enterprise agreements etc which is fine. That being said THE ONLY new android device you Offer is an Samsung s8 - This is not acceptable. 

No choice. I have had the LG G3, LG G4 and currently LG G5 - since you are not continuing with the LG range or Any other NEW android device i have started to look into Telstra and Vodaphone plans. These are not only matching the value you offer but also giving me a SELECTION of devices. 

I know the person reading this would not have enough authority to tell me if things are "coming soon" or there is a plan to increase the range. I honestly use want to make visible my stance and the ONLY solution to the other people that woudl be in the same situation. 

Raggie 

Re: Android Devices - Nothing New.

Paddylee

Hello,

Lets see, unless purchased outright - here are the following that are exclusives with single carriers at the moment.

Google Pixels - Telstra Exclusive

LG - G6 - Telstra exclusive

HTC One X10 - Vodafone Exclusive

HTC U11 - Optus/Virgin Exclusive

So the main issue is carrier exclusives.  What would be deemed "acceptable"?

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!

Raggie

Hi Mate. Thanks for your reply.

What would be acceptable is if Optus provide a slightly better range than 1 current/ new Android device. I would recommend you look at the other carriers and see the Android selection they offer.

It is a competitive market. People are in the same situation as me will want to leave as they want selection. I would honestly want Optus to provide a argument or even a hope that they will be Stocking Android devices or extending their range (listening to customers) in the near future.  There is a few new players that are still up for grabs (one plus, essential phone) at least give the ones sticking with Optus stone hope rather than feeling like schmucks

Paddylee

One Plus - no launch events in Aus (only part of Europe and New York)

Essential phone - nothing at all besides pre-order "reserve"

Majority of the market is iPhones by apple and Galaxy by Samsung.

Sure their are others, but no where near the quatity of units as the major 2 brands.

There have been several phones released in the last 6 months, with a few also announced at mobile world congress a few months ago.

Good luck finding a windows phone (unless your a business account holder) as these are pretty much no longer being sold by the 3 main carriers.  Markets change, pricing is also a major factor.

Could always purchase what ever phone you wanted then go on a sim only plan.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
Highlighted

petergdownload

"Could always purchase what ever phone you wanted then go on a sim only plan."

I'd agree with this from @Paddylee. If you can foot the bill upfront its now almost always a fair bit cheaper over the course of the contract (and you get 100% freedom to choose what phone you want). 

For example that Samsung S8 on a 10Gb plan costs $2250 over 24 months

Buy the phone for $950 and grab a 12Gb plan form Optus for a total of $1900

Plus you're free to change plans after 12 months.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
34 Kudos
22 Kudos
21 Kudos
19 Kudos
13 Kudos