Make every day more extraordinary with the Google Pixel 3 – Now available to order from Optus. Read the full story
What is Google Smart Lock ?
There are two ways Google Smart Lock works - Smart Lock for Android and Smart Lock for Passwords.
Smart Lock for Android is a setting on your Android phone that allows you to setup safe Places, Devices, Faces and even voices to make it faster to unlock your Android phone where you feel you need less security. You need at least Android 5.0 (Lollipop) to access these features
Why is this feature cool? It can make accessing your phone much quicker to access, whilst still retaining a good level of security on your phone if you are out and about
Smart Lock for Passwords helps you securely store passwords to some of your favourite websites and compatable apps. An example app that can use this feature is Netflix
Why is this feature cool? By turning this feature on in your Chrome Browser on desktop and Android phone, Smart Lock auto remembers passwords so you don't have to remember them. It also sync's across all of your Android devices. Smart Lock for passwords allows you to have different passwords for all sites or apps, which should increase your overall level of online security. As opposed to using the same password for all sites or apps. Very risky
How do I use Google Smart Lock for Android features?
- Go to your settings menu on your phone, select "security" and then select "Smart Lock".
From there you can enable;
- Trusted Devices - perhaps your car's Bluetooth speaker, Smart Watch or even a Google Chromebook laptop, many other Bluetooth devices.
- Trusted Places - dependant on you setting a location via Google Maps and having GPS turned on, your phone will not require password, pattern or pin unlock at trusted locations
- Trusted Voice - set your own voice to be recognised to allow use of Googles always on search function
- Trusted Face - set your own face for auto phone unlock when you look at your phone
- On-Body Detection - setup your phone to automatically work out if you pulled your phone out of your pocket and unlock. This could make your phone less secure in mixed company
How do I use Google Chrome Smart Lock features?
- Find the Google Settings app on your phone. Depending on your device, this could be a seperate app, or in your main settings under "Google"
- Select "Smart Lock for Passwords"
- Turn the settings on or off, depending on whether you want auto sign-in for apps already linked to your Google Account.
- In this same settings area, you can also limit what apps use this feature. For instance, you may not want auto sign in on your banking app, if that app is supporting Smart Lock
For more info about these features, check out Google's Smart Lock page here - http://get.google.com/smartlock/