cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Mobile data upload speed on Samsung S 20

Hi Everyone 

I was testing the 4G and 5G mobile data speed from my phone using the speed test app.

Is there any reason that the upload speed is very slow?

How can I fix it?

4G.jpeg

5G.jpeg

Andreas

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Mobile data upload speed on Samsung S 20

G'day @andrea2020, we can certainly assist with this 🙂 Have you tried Mobile Troubleshooting as of yet? Give those a shot and see how you go.

Sometimes if there is some maintenance happening on the service towers in your area, it can have an impact on your upload speeds. You can check for any works in your postcode via our Network Status page - just punch in your address and the site will bring up some more information on your coverage and service towers. 

Should everything be in spec, I would recommend having a chat to our Messenger teams whom will be able to look into your services and advise further. Our teams are available 24/7 via the Optus App and would be more than happy to assist in the best possible way

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi @Tuong_YC 

I have reviewed the Mobile Troubleshooting as well as check for issues. All Clear.

This is my 5G speed today.

5G test 04 11 2020.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hey @Andreas2020. Thank you for sharing this information with us. It's not great to see that you 5G speeds are at this level. Can you confirm if this speed test was conducted over 5G or LTE? as it appears to be showing for an LTE connection.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi @Kyri_YC 

The network is showing 5G, however, the speed test can only do LTE.

Another test today

SmartSelect_20201105-090625_Speedtest.jpgSmartSelect_20201105-090721_Speedtest.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted

@Andreas2020 Hm, can I ask if you've tried doing a Network Settings Reset on your handset? You can do this on your Samsung S20 by following these steps:

1. From the Home screen, swipe up or down from the center of the display to access the apps screen.
  2. Navigate: Settings > General management  > Reset.
  3. Tap Reset network settings.
  4. Review the info then tap Reset settings.
  5. To confirm, review the info then tap Reset.

Let us know if this helps in any way. 

Also, do your speeds differ throughout the day or is it happening at a specific time? 5G speeds are variable on the Optus 5G Network. Your actual speed will depend on several factors including (but not limited to) congestion, location and proximity to an Optus 5G tower as well as buildings, materials and obstacles that the signal has to pass through to get to you.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

HI @Nard_YC 

Thank you for the instructions.

I have tried to reset the network settings. My network switches back to 4g and here is the speed that I am getting.

In terms of speed, I haven't paid close attention to it. The reason I test it is because I am going to lose my NBN connection during the next few days due to electrical work, and I need to set up a backup connection via my mobile to support video call and online presentation.

SmartSelect_20201105-163107_Speedtest.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted

No worries @Andreas2020.

From what I can see and the speeds that you are currently recording, they do seem more than sufficient enough to go about the tasks you may need to undertake. 

If you do end up running into more troubles though, feel free to reach out once again and let us know how things go.  

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thank you @Kyri_YC 

Just would like to know what is the maximum speed for 4G and 5G data? and what is the average speed?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

No worries @Andreas2020.  

In regards to the maximum and average speeds on the 4G/5G network, it's kind of hard to say due to the many factors that play part in your speed, like the strength of the network in your area and the devices you use. But in saying this, when the network is performing at its expected speeds, it should most definitely be well enough to get through your daily tasks.  

Top Contributors