cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

5G mobile speeds down from 500Mbps to 50Mbps after plan upgrade

Morning all.

Ive been on Optus 5G for almost a year now, on a 60GB plan with a Note 5G+.

Recently ive seen regular speeds of up to 500Mbps, at my residence. Generally I get 200+ easy.. Really great speeds.

As my plan is almost up, I decided to have a look at plan upgrades, and decided to take the 500GB for $65p/m deal.

Since the upgrade my speed has dropped 10 fold, down to 50Mbps.

Not one speed test I do, at any time of the day exceeds 50Mbps. This cannot be a coincidence.

Are Optus throttling the 500GB mobile plan?

0 Kudos
4 Replies

Re: 5G mobile speeds down from 500Mbps to 50Mbps after plan upgrade

Hi there, @plainfaced

I can confirm there is no throttling being applied to the 500GB Optus One plan. Have you checked some basics such as looking for network outages, faults or planned works in your area? You can check this on our Network Status Page.

I'd also recommend giving our Mobile Connectivity troubleshooting guide a go to see if that helps. 

If basic troubleshooting hasn't worked, please get in touch with our 24x7 Tech Support team via Messaging on the My Optus App so they can investigate these speed issues further. 

If for some reason you're unable to use the My Optus App, please send a Private Message to our official Optus Facebook page or Twitter page and the team will be able to take a closer look.

Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Yeah no network issues.

Strangely enough Ive just changed my Access Point Names from 'Yes Optus Internet' to 'Optus Bus Mobile Broadband' and speeds went from 46Mbps up to 490Mbps within a matter of seconds of testing between the two access point name changes.

0 Kudos

@plainfaced I'm glad to hear that's done the trick for you. "yesinternet" is the correct APN setting for our mobile services so it's quite bizarre that you're getting your normal 5G speeds using the business mobile broadband APN setting.

You could always try a Network Settings Reset and switch back to "yesinternet" if you want to try and revert back to this set-up. 

Those speeds are definitely looking great again though, give us a shout if you need a hand with anything else. 🙂 

Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

I am on the same plan and still getting upwards of 500Mbit in Brisbane cbd on way to work - so it's not a plan limitation.

How old is your sim card?
I suggest that you should do a sim swap.
0 Kudos
Top Contributors