cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

transferring from NBN to 5G

it will cost me $21 extra to transfer from NBN to 5G. I have fetch tv with a Optus Mighty box, Optus sport and a channel pack. Why is this so much more on 5G. I believe I could save by purchasing my own Mighty box, is that correct.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: transferring from NBN to 5G

@keithf1007  Optus don't offer a 5G product that includes Fetch. 
I am no expert on Optus Fetch but from I can see I don't think you can supply your own Fetch Box and get the same offer via Optus. I think you would have to get the Fetch TV channels via Fetch and pay extra for an Optus Sport Subscription if you go down the 5G path.

I am an Optus subscriber, just trying to help.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Optus do offer fetch bundled with the 5g Home product - $10 a month for mini, $15 for Mighty (box itself, no added packs besides base package)

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

@Paddylee  Am I correct if keithf1007 supplies his own Fetch Box he has to subscribe to the stations via Fetch and pay extra for Optus Sport?

I am an Optus subscriber, just trying to help.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

If you BYO Fetch box then you will have to pay Fetch directly for any channel packs.
Optus sport is $14.95 a month unless you get it included with an Optus Mobile.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

"Why is this so much more on 5G."

You're not necessarily the target market at the moment. On the NBN Optus is competing with 100's of RSPs that can all provide pretty much the same basic service. Providing a Fetch box is a product differentiator as is Optus Sport. The Fetch box also keeps people stuck with Optus as they lose it if they leave.

With 5G, Optus pretty much has zero competition. There's no comparable product out there yet. Its aimed at households that have very poor or no NBN and are grateful to be able to access high speed internet with the government having let them down so badly. Optus has no need to 'entice' these customers to pick them - they're the only game in town.

Even so I'd say the basic pricing and terms are pretty reasonable for Optus 5G home:

1) Unlimited Data
2) $70
3) Speeds likely faster than 100Mbps.
4) Satisfaction Guarantee
5) Modem included for free
6) Month to month contract

You're not really comparing apples to apples either.

For a similar plan to what you mention (100Mps, unlimited, fetch, sports, etc.) its $110 a month. $90 if you're ok with just 50Mbps - the minimum speed 5G will run at.

So if you want a similar deal on 5G then add in Optus sport separately ($15) plus a Fetch Pack ($6). Pretty much the same cost except...

You need to buy your own Fetch box. I very much recommend doing this. Its only $300 from FetchTV themselves. You then own the box forever and can use it with any RSP. Its also got built in access to most streaming services, including Optus Sport and Amazon Prime etc.)

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fetch-Mighty-PVR-Set-Top-Box-Recorder-4K-HD-M616T/312516775109?
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your valuable reply. I think I will take your advice. For your info I am paying $85 per month which includes the Optus supplied Fetch Mighty, Optus Sport, one Fetch pack and unlimited data. Speed is adequate and the NBN has been very reliable to date.