cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
New Contributor
New Contributor

Work vpn access

I just switched from Optus Cable to Optus NBN FTTC.  Previously I could access vpn using Sagecom F@st 5366TN but I cannot access using the newly supplied Sagecom F@st 5366 LTE  (the one with 4G back up.  I have checked the modem settings and there doesn't appear to be any difference between the two modem settings.  I can get vpn access through the Optus Cable (it hasn't been turned off yet) but not through the NBN.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Work vpn access

So did the 5366TN work with cable only or with both cable and FTTC?

The core of the TN and the LTE should be the same.

Have you forwarded the necessary ports on the LTE?

0 Kudos

Hey @Geo66, that's rather odd. I am currently using a VPN on my own NBN connection at home and have not encountered any issues myself.

I would recommend removing any prior attachments and performing a quick restart. From there, just add it back on and you should be all good to go. Just in case you have not already done so as well, if you could also make sure that your VPN was still compatible and updated to the latest version as well, that would be much appreciated. 

New Contributor
New Contributor

I finally managed to get vpn access to work.   Thanks to those who replied to me.  Not sure how it started working.

Now I have another problem, using remote access.  We use the remote access feature on Win 10 to access my partner's work server from her personal laptop at home.  Remote Access works fine using the Optus Cable Network Modem/Wifi Router, but doesn't work when using the new NBN Modem / Optus FTTC wifi Router.  I have tried swapping Routers, but this doesn't help.  I have tried to connect directly to the Router using a LAN cable.  However, As soon as we switch back to the old Optus Cable, we can get Remote Access to the work computer.

Any suggestions?

Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

So are you trying to use remote access while you are connected via vpn?

0 Kudos
New Contributor
New Contributor

The remote access is not using VPN. Remote access is using the app which is part of Windows 10. We are trying to access a server computer at my partner’s work. One just needs the IP address of the server computer, username and password which works fine using Cable Internet but can’t connect at all when switch to FTTC Optus NBN.
0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

So I assume you have not set up any port forwarding on your routers, correct?

Windows remote desktop (which is what I am assume you are referring to when you say remote access)  uses TCP port 3389 (by default), so you probably need to forward that port to the laptop that's running the remote access app. See Network Settings ---> Port Forwarding on the 5366's.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

You can VPN in and it works.

Simple solution TeamViewer into a local machine and do everything from there.

No need to open ports and risk yourself.

I really don't understand why people need to open ports?

We use to call them Jump Hosts, you connect to a VM, then to device you want.

Port Forwarding is just stupid and the past.

It must be a decade since I've had to use Port Forwarding.

Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Tom2222 wrote:

You can VPN in and it works.

Its down to how a given workplace sets up their networks as well as what instructions they give to the employees on how to perform various tasks remotely. 

I really don't understand why people need to open ports?

In this particular case it shouldn't really be necessary as you typically open the ports on the host and not client, but these Optus routers work in mysterious ways.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Sorry if that is the case of your work place, you are a working for, a rather poor company without an IT clue.

I've done remote access for non profits, all it took was my time, no ports needed to be opened.

People who need to open ports are doing something stupid, it's illegal or not IT sane.

You do not Open Ports, besides your on 5G you don't have an public IP, so it's a moot point.

Simple.

Reinvent the solution to the issue, VPN can work over different methods, try TCP if you can't.

Other wise use a Jump Host via TeamViewer.

As for "Optus routers work in mysterious ways" They work, you plug them in, it connects and it works, anything past that is up to the human and what they trying to do.

Top Contributors