cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

There's no technical support for the new Nokia 5G Fastmile modem.

It doesn't exist...

Due to intermittent connection problems, I am trying to access the internal settings of the modem in order to troubleshoot via the 192.168.1.254 page.

Many of the options and features within the modem are locked or "greyed out", and unable to be changed or altered. Simple things like changing it to IPv6, and bridge mode are restricted.

I have logged in with the "userAdmin" username, which I was assuming would be be admin privileges, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Is there another username out there which allows me to change these settings?

I have tried seeking help on this issue;
I've rang about 6 different numbers this morning, been on 2 different live chats and no one is taking responsibility for the fact they need to offer support for this product.

The Nokia 5G Fastmile is obviously a Nokia product, yet they refer you back to the supplier of the modem. When you contact the supplier (optus) they tell you to contact the manufacturer.

Neither companies barely acknowledge the product as existing, let alone offer tech support for it.

I'm very well aware of your "50mbps gaurentee" and the fact that it also covers having a constant, stable and reliable connection.
My particular issue may very well be easily solved if I could just find out where to seek help.

Where do we go for support?
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: There's no technical support for the new Nokia 5G Fastmile modem.

Firmware is locked down, their is no other username that opens all the other settings (this happens on most Telco supplied devices).

If the device/service is not suitable you should be able to cancel without penalty as long as you return the device.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

That's a shame.. I am unfortunately now forced to choose between the speed that 5G provides, or the stability of an adsl2 connection.

Wish they hadn't have imposed the hardware restrictions, as it may have may have been able to provide a solution.

I will contact optus and see what my options are.
Thanks for your timely reply.
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I have the same problem too. i chat several times they told me to contact nokia. but they said firmware is updated by isp. So i dont know what to do. i went to optus shop too. Atleast they dont know what im taking about. Double NAT detection still no reply with them  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

As a follow up to this:
Optus were unable to offer any form of help or support for the product they supply, and i was incredibly disappointed with how optus handled my issues (constantly palming me off to someone else).

I was able to cancel my Optus plan because the product is technically faulty due to the amount of restrictions, and now happily give my money to a competing internet provider who I have had no issues, and allows full access to modem settings + support for it if anything goes wrong.

In hindsight, i really regret choosing Optus 5G for my internet, and recommend anyone with any other option for internet choose that instead.
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Optus 5G is cr*p...Was great at the beginning but then has been constantly dropping out. Stay away. Their infrastructure is not ready.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi there @bananakitty & @Hummmy 

Thanks for raising this with us here. We do have a page that can assist with some troubleshooting - 5G Home Internet Troubleshooting 

It also advises that we currently don't support modem bridging, amongst some other mentioned queries. 

If you haven't already, we recommend chatting with the 5G Technical Support team on - 1300 101 693 Mon - Fri: 8am - 8pm or Sat: 9am - 5pm, as they are team best equipped to chat in more detail. 

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I have moved away from Optus due to all the reasons mentioned above.

Have not had an issue since, and will never look back to optus again.

This could have been avoided had you provided proper support for your products... Ah well, your loss.
0 Kudos