cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Solving Double NAT with Optus

Hi all,

I've just gotten 5G and I haven't, for the life of me, been able to get my 2 son's xboxs working. It says he has a double-nat type so I tried all the initial troubleshooting (port forwarding, turning NAT off, UPNP on). I even went to the extent of putting the xbox in the DMZ and it still was double-natted.

Upon googling I found a few people who suggest my ISP use "Carrier Grade NAT" to share a single address between hundreds/thousands of people which is the cause of my xbox thinking we have a double-nat.

Does anyone know if I can get rid of or fix this? I will probably have to cancel it if their consoles don't work or I'll never hear the end of it!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Solving Double NAT with Optus

@Lutallo wrote:

Upon googling I found a few people who suggest my ISP use "Carrier Grade NAT" to share a single address between hundreds/thousands of people which is the cause of my xbox thinking we have a double-nat.

That should be it in a nutshell. Pretty much all 4G/5G services use CGNAT and some wired services are starting to use it as well. 

Does anyone know if I can get rid of or fix this?

I know at least one fixed line service allows opt-out of CG-NAT for free, but I don't think there are any wireless services that allow CG-NAT opt out-at all.

Some providers do allow purchasing of a fixed IP address for $$/pm (usually on business plans only) which but its very nature requires CG-NAT to be bypassed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Damn, do you know of any way I can get a proper public IP through Optus or any other way I might be able to fix online gaming?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Static IP option (gives you a public ip) is NOT available on these 5g Home Plans at all.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Lutallo wrote:

Damn, do you know of any way I can get a proper public IP through Optus

None that I am aware of. 

or any other way I might be able to fix online gaming?

I've never used wireless so never needed to think about the workarounds, or the device capabilities, but regardless of that everything I've seen indicates if you're on CG-NAT you're stuffed.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors