Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Muppet83
New Contributor
New Contributor

Please, PLEASE enable custom DNS

Please enable custom DNS for those of us that know what we are doing. Until I got my Nokia Fastline 5g modem, I was using cloudflares  1.1.1.3 DNS entries to help protect my family from malware and adult content.

Now I have to rely on the security built into the modem, which takes a layer of security out of my hands. As a senior IT technician, I know what I am doing when modifying my DNS entries and believe that we should have the option to do so if we choose to.

6 Replies
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Please, PLEASE enable custom DNS

Custom static DNS is currently expected to be adding in early November.

Sorry. That info was for fixed line 5366 modem, not for the Nokia Fastline 5g.

0 Kudos
Kyri_YC

Hey there @Muppet83. Apologies for the inconveniences that not being able to set up a custom DNS on your Nokia 5G Modem. I have marked this post as feedback, so we can have it reviewed for future reference for our relevant teams. Feel free to reach out again if you have any other concerns of this nature. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

sysAdmin
Contributor
Contributor

@Muppet83 , Thank you. I have a new little one who will be internet keen soon and I've just learnt something new, 1.1.1.3, without directly looking for it. Brilliant.

I was speaking to Optus today and they promised a firmware update within about a month. I didn't request details but many of us have been asking for DNS and DHCP customisation. I hope they have listened.

In my case I'm now running a second router attached to the Nokia with a static IP of 192.168.1.1. This  router runs its own DHCP server and DNS to wrestle control from Nokia and hand out the IP / Static IP reservations that I want. Then it tells all my devices that the default gatway is 192.168.1.254, my DNS is whatever I want and the secondary gateway is 192.168.1.1. That way, if the Nokia or Optus is down my traffic gets re-routed via NBN or Telstra 4G. Not ideal and a pain.

I also really found it quite puzzling to see that the Nokia has a WAN port and a manufacturer manual indicating it could failover to WAN, only to test it and learn that Optus had turned it into an ethernet port. 

Given the cost to Optus (and us) of paying for the Nokia Fastmile (such expensive hardware) I don't see the value proposition of skimping on firmware (except for getting it to market faster) when it prevents the user base from using the internet the way they want (e.g. safely) and having to pay for a second router.

Perhaps on that last point and the first that is why they have just grandfathered the $75/mo plan and increased the costs for the same service to $90/mo. 🤞

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@sysAdmin wrote:

I was speaking to Optus today and they promised a firmware update within about a month.

I hope that's true, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that estimate.

@sysAdmin wrote:

I didn't request details but many of us have been asking for DNS and DHCP customisation. I hope they have listened.

Optus' current fixed line routers have DHCP and are just about to get DNS customisation, so I can see them adding those to the FastMile (I actually expect them to be added), but the question will be when.

I also really found it quite puzzling to see that the Nokia has a WAN port and a manufacturer manual indicating it could failover to WAN, only to test it and learn that Optus had turned it into an ethernet port. 

Optus and many other RSP's are overly fixated on controlling/dumbing down their routers.

I don't see the value proposition of skimping on firmware (except for getting it to market faster) when it prevents the user base from using the internet the way they want (e.g. safely) and having to pay for a second router.

They think it cuts down on support costs. They really don't care how much inconvenience it causes their customers as long as they perceive it will cost them less in support costs.

Perhaps on that last point and the first that is why they have just grandfathered the $75/mo plan

Have they? They still have $75 5G plans for sale.

and increased the costs for the same service to $90/mo. 🤞

They are just aligning it with NBN prices in the hopes of getting people to switch/connect to 5G instead of NBN because they have much better profit margins with 5G than NBN.

0 Kudos
sysAdmin
Contributor
Contributor

Not keen to hijack the thread, but yes... New users to $75/mo plan are now shaped to 100 Mbps. I'm still getting 360 Mbps, so calling it grandfathered.
0 Kudos
B4byf4c3
New Contributor
New Contributor

Ok so the only workaround I have found is in your web browser press f12 click the little box with an arrow in corner select the dns entry and delete the disabled entry on both dns and the save button then you can input a custom dns and click save I can provide a screenshot if you need
0 Kudos
Top Contributors