Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor Newtown_guy
Occasional Contributor

Optus website pages and other .gov.au pages not working without VPN on Optus 5G home broadband

Last night found out we can add www.bom.gov.au and https://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/fire-information/fires-near-me to the list of websites that do not work unless you use a VPN.....is this something that can be fixed for all websites?  Optus pages also don't load unless you have a VPN

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
New Contributor Pateljigar
New Contributor

I can’t access some website with Optus mobile internet and Optus Broadband

Does any one is still facing problem opening some websites with Optus internet in their mobile phone and home broadband .
I recently moved to Optus from Telstra and I was not expecting that I can’t access some websites .
Apple.com us version
Even Optus crowd website in my laptop and sometimes can’t access via phone internet
Netflix
Vmovee and more websites in list ...
I tried using my wife’s Telstra internet via hotspot all websites are working with my phone and laptop but not with Optus internet. Does anyone know if it’s possible to change dns server or whatever for mobile internet .
I m not happy ... I have even converted my internet from tpg to Optus and same problem . Can’t access websites don’t know why .
0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Optus website pages and other .gov.au pages not working without VPN on optus 5g home boradband

Can you enter a DNS in your modem settings? Try 8.8.8.8
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Re: Optus website pages and other .gov.au pages not working without VPN on optus 5g home boradband

Modem doesn't let me change these settings - greyed out
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

This issue has been around for several years now though 3 "products" - Home Wireless Broadband, Wireless Broadband and now Home 5g Broadband.

Only thing that will fix the issue fully is for Optus to do an HLR rebuild on their side.

I dont know why this is not done correctly and we get quite a few of these threads, seems its not taken seriously.

E.G.

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Broadband-Telephony/Huawei-b525-unable-to-access-yescrowd-or-my-acc...

Dont bother with chat support, go direct to the social media twitter/facebook and advise them of the issue and that a HLR rebuild is required.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
Occasional Contributor

Thanks PaddyLee, one would hope being a flagship product with monopoly on Nokia Modems they would try and fix it asap.
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Its more of a provisioning error then hardware as the issue occurs (well it did for me) with the huawei e5186 and the netgear 800s.

Hopefully they sort it out for you!

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Optus website pages and other .gov.au pages not working without VPN on optus 5g home broadband

Hi everyone,

This came through yesterday afternoon:

We’ve identified a fault (#22131760) where some customers are experiencing issues when attempting to access certain websites and Chromecasting when connected to their 5G Fixed Broadband Service.

Sites/Services Impacted:

Chromecast (Optus Sport)

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au

https://sport.optus.com.au/epl/

https://bom.gov.au

Our Networks team are onto it, and aim to fix this as soon as possible. We’re sorry or the inconvenience.

I'll post relevant updates are they come through here.

Note: If you are having this issue with other websites, please log a fault here specifying what the websites are and advise that you believe it is related to 22131760.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor CautionAhead
Occasional Contributor

Re: Optus website pages and other .gov.au pages not working without VPN on optus 5g home broadband

This was to be expected, after the botched and failed NBN install back in MAY19 to the inability to cancel my cable connection in AUG19 (which I must add I'm still being charged for after attempt #3 to have it disconnected)

I went to a shop to first hand get my 5G modem to eliminate the well known issues with phone 'customer service'

Somehow my email address has been merged with my wifes account so she has to use my e-mail address to login as it refuses to accept hers.

Whereas me logging in (being the same email address doesn't show my new phone or the 5G plan!!!)

So here I am attempting to rectify these issues, but the 5G service can't access the Optus site, ingenious! Fortunately the complete failure of disconnecting the cable means I can at least tether the WIFI to my phone to get some resemblance of service, but all in vane as it shows I have multiple broadband contracts....possibly the word cancel means 'renew' O/S

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Sorry to say but you'll need to call Optus to rectify these issues. IMO your probably best just writing it all down. Use bullet points and keep the requests for what you want done to as few words as possible. At least you'll get a complaint number that you can then refer to subsequently.

Customer Relations Group, PO Box 306 Salisbury South 5106.

Peter Gillespie
0 Kudos
Top Contributors