cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Optus Capping 5G Download Speed?

I have Optus 4g with the Huawei router and decided to upgrade to the Optus 5g with the Nokia router. I thought I'd do a little test of download speeds to see what it would be like.

My current 4g had 85mbps download - My current 5g had 350mbps download. Amazing difference (speedtest.net).

According to my Xbox, the download speeds were similar (88mbps vs 320mbps).

When I download the same game update on 4g, my speed is 75mpbs. When I download the exact same update on my 5g, I can't get anything over 15mbps.

This doesn't make sense. I cleared all the devices on the network beforehand to test as well. Why are my 5g download speeds capped and what is the point of having 350mbps when you download at 15mbps?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Optus Capping 5G Download Speed?

It is mysterious. Try again tomorrow. Try also another download site
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I wrote the Xbox off as an anomaly so decided to test my mobile.

Just tried to download a 900mb Netflix episode on my mobile phone app using 5G, took 10 minutes to get halfway. Downloaded the same Netflix episode on the same device using 4G, finished within 3 minutes.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

5G might be set up to 'burst' transfer. So amounts under 50Mb (e.g. speed tests) might move quickly while more sustained transfers are as you say capped. Just a theory. Perhaps try a few different file sizes and see if 4G and 5G are the same for lower sizes:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/download
0 Kudos
Top Contributors