Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Alken
Contributor
Contributor

Optus 5g

Ive just connected to the Optus 5g zBroadband network and im disappointed to say the least .Its only slightly better than the 4g net .

Im .45 of a km from the tower ,i have green lights on the Nokia Fastmile  modem .If i stand on my roof i can see the tower .

The speed fluctuates extremely between 22.7 mbps 21.7mbps, 11.3 mbps ,175.2 mbps . Its not a stable signal and changes by the hr .

im in a low traffic area ,so no real problem there .

im just disappointed ,also no ability to fit an external antenna on the Nokia Fastmile Optus  modem .

Any suggestions would be appreciated ... 

7 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Optus 5g

The 5G rollout is a mixed bag at the moment. That's why Optus are offering the 50Mbps guarantee. Presumably you've tried different spots around the property? The 5G tower in use might also not be the one you are looking at. You can report the speeds to Optus direct but I don't know if that information is relayed anywhere. If it doesn't improve then initiate returning the equipment. Perhaps try again in 6 months time and see if the coverage has improved.

0 Kudos
GTFO
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

As you have to stand on your roof to see the tower that would be one of the major issues.
Current 3.5Ghz band currently being used has major issues if its not line of site or near line of site.

No external antennas due to the fact that losses on most cabling negate any gains.
Mkrtich
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi - those speeds appear to indicate the modem may be moving from 5G to 4G to accommodate the circumstances at the time and also may be influenced by its location. The Nokia Fastmile 5G is no slouch with its technical credentials - it has 20 internal antennae , four mounted on each side of its internal pentagon cage sides. The array is supposed to deliver a very strong 11 dBi outcome to deliver twice indoor coverage and three times downlink capacity and five times uplink capacity - maybe in a laboratory environment rather than the real world. 

You may have experimented with relocating the modem already - make sure you power down and go through a fresh install process in between relocations. Do you get the Nokia 59 page manual which has a good section on the LEDs with the modem - the Quick Start Guide is short on substance. Also, interesting to understand but, how do you know you are in a low traffic area in your location? Is there some screen inside the Nokia modem that gives this information? 

Nokia-Fastmile-5G-Gateway-3-Antennae.jpeg

Alken
Contributor
Contributor

Hi . Thanks  for your input . Ive tried in different places .This is the result from best position .The only strange thing is the lights on the modem are pointing at a different tower position to the Optus App tower finder . Just wondering if im getting signal bounce on my modem tower detection lights . 

It achieved 200mbps today ,but not for long . I’ll persevere because i realise the tower only just switched on last week and maybe needs more fine tuning or what ever .

Ive noticed the Modem is completely locked . So no room there to try different settings . 

At least i have internet ,although not quite what i was expecting .I still think 5g is the way for the future . 

Tried calling Optus for and helpful advice ,but cant get through on phone . 

flying_squid
Contributor
Contributor

All i can suggest is be patient. My 5G modem has never yet picked up a 5G signal. Its a yellow light on LTE but the speeds are still very respectful. Ive noticed its getting better each month. Newer technology still needs to be fine tuned.
0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Good Point. It is still an unlimited 4G device/plan at a very reasonable price.
Alken
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for replies .Its been seven days on my new 5g optus mobile broadband plan .Its improving daily and now getting stable connection averaging between 130 mbps to 200 mbps .

The Green lights are now staying on . Web pages are loading instantly .

If Optus were more forthcoming communicating whats going on Re 5g needs tuning or whatever ... 

So im happy with the service now . Better than NBN ... 🙂