Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor dennism
Occasional Contributor

Optus 5G Home broadband

If I have 5G Home Broadband, can I take my Nokia modem with me on holidays and I am staying within the Optus 4G Plus foot print in a different location and it would all work, but at a slower speed?

Reading the Nokia 5G Home Broadband modem spec. suggests that the fallback is to the 4G service and everything else I have read suggests the same thing (fallback to 4G).

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Optus 5G Home broadband

All 5G equipment falls back to 4G if the 5G is not available.

Peter Gillespie
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Except its not really meant to be used as a portable device and left on 4g (yes Optus can see that you have moved it)

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Ref to:
Relocating to a new address
Before relocating to a new address, you must contact us to perform a serviceability check to determine if the 5G Home Broadband service is available at your new address. If your new address is not 5G serviceable, we will offer you an alternate broadband service.

Occasional Contributor

I understood that one of the benefits of this method of connecting is the flexibility that it offers if needing to move to another location. Is it a technical problem that means it should not run constantly on 4G if 5G is not available?
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Is it a technical problem for the Nokia 5G modem to be constantly running on 4G? It would be tedious if I am moving a lot and each time I have to swap over to the Huawei 4G Home modem then change back to the Nokia 5G modem and each time change plans.
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Yes, I have seen the specs of the Nokia modem and read that it falls back to 4G. I would prefer to sign up for Optus 5G Home and if I mve to a non-5G area, to conitnue to use the 5G modem in the 4G mode. Is there a technical reason that is a problem for the Nokia modem to be constantly communicating on 4G?
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Not a technical one, well in fact it is....
5g spectrum allows 5-10 Gigabits of bandwidth over around 400-800Mhbits over 4g, hence why this plan is offered.
Add in unlimited data and people taking the device out of 5g coverage and going to town via 4g - brings everyone else down and causes major issues with congestion.

Occasional Contributor

Thank you.
So if I understand correctly, the Nokia 5G Home modem behaves differently on a 4G connection compared to the Huawei 4G Home modem on a 4G connection.
Does this also apply to a 5G mobile handset using data when connected to the 4G network (the phone with 5G capability will cause trouble for other 4G only phone users?)
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Device will work fine on 4g - but the plan is for the 5g service (notice they dont offer a real unlimited plan over 4g).
At the moment all 5g needs 4g in order for it to work, in another year or so then the devices will only need 5g to work.