Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
gangav
New Contributor
New Contributor

Nokia 5G Modem with Google Nest WiFi - speed issues

Just got 5G for $90/m on a month-to-month plan. I get a strong connection (green), with speeds between 200-600Mbps, unlimited data. All in all a great deal.

I also have a 100Mpbs NBN with costs $19 more, which I want to cancel if 5G works well. I have the option of upgrading NBN to 1000/40 for $59 more (600/35 in real life when I tried it once).

The Nokia modem's wifi coverage is poor. My Google Nest Wifi with 1 router + 2 points work gives great WiFi coverage + the added bonus of 2 speakers.

When I connect the Nokia to the Google router I end up with 2 DHCP server, on 2 different subnets.

• Nokia: <the world> => 192.168.1.100-199 via the 3 LAN ports + WiFi.
  • Google: 192.168.1.101 leased from the Nokia => 192.168.86.100-254 via 8 port switch + WiFi

If I connect my laptop or phone to the Nokia directly via Ethernet or WiFi I get speeds of 200-600Mpbs.

If I connect it to the Google network I only get 70-90Mpbs. NBN works at 90-100Mbps, so I know the bottleneck is not in the Google router.

Both routers have restrictions that prevent me from setting up just one DHCP server - if that's the issue in the first place:

• Nokia's DHCP options page has disabled input controls. I have enabled them by tweaking the HTML via the browser's source inspector. But there doesn't seem to be a way to tell it to lease its internal IP from the Google router.

• Google's router has no option to disable the DHCP server at all.

Has anyone got this to work?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Mkrtich
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Nokia 5G Modem with Google Nest WiFi - speed issues

Hi - I assume the current firmware of the Nokia Fastmile has no Bridge mode function as yet, which would otherwise allow its DHCP to be dormant,  so as to enable you to run off the Google Nest DHCP.

It must be possible for the Google to be configured as an Access Point without DHCP, but unfortunately, it I think that precludes one from adding another Mesh Point to create an extended network - I have seen the Google Nest Routers being sold as a two Pack for people who wish to have an Ethernet port at the remote end. Also it appears that this can't be done to an established Meshed Network consisting of 1 Google Nest Router and 2 Points - it looks like it's one or the other in setup. 

May I ask, is the LAN switch sitting between the Nokia and the Google Nest or is it connected to the Nest's LAN port? Would you describe your Mesh network topology as a triangle or a straight line daisy chain setup. Google don't use a dedicated  WiFi Band for backhaul, so all devices connected to the front side of the Points share whatever bandwidth is available to them for backhaul. Are the quoted speeds using devices with 2.4Ghz or 5 Ghz adapter settings to a common or separate SSIDs?

The speed experience may be diluted when data is passed from a Point to its next path connection, so if it has to go through another point, data speed may be further disadvantaged.      

I think that all carriers shape the modem/router's WAN speed in their network depending on the service subscribed which must include the MAC address of their supplied modem. When I undertook some iPerf3 tests last year between two Optus modems which had no Internet service in use :- PC Server - Modem A - LAN - WAN Modem B - PC Client, I noticed the WAN speed (Uplink) of Modem B between the two modems seemed limited to around 20 Mbps on it's  up to 1 Gbps capable link, which was an unexpected result. It gave me the impression that there may be firmware in the Optus modem may have a setting depending on what service it was previously connected to. It was a bench test  configuration for experiment only - could have been something I did wrong on the day. 

gangav
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks @Mkrtich 

One of the Nokia's LAN ports is connected to the WAN port of the Google Router via Ethernet. So currently Google is leasing its WAN address from Nokia. 

They run independent Wireless LANs - ie they're not bridged.

When I plug my PC into the Nokia's LAN port I get 300++Mbps. Ditto with the Nokia's WLAN. But when I connect via Google it drops to 80-90. So I suspect the bottleneck is between Nokia and Google. I have no idea why.

It's a moot point now. I've decided to cancel my 5G service. Pity, as it's a damn good deal. I've decided to pay $19-$59 more NBN. 

0 Kudos
Tina_YC

Hi @gangav, thanks for reaching out to us. I'm afraid we don't support this. 

If you have any further questions, please let us know. Tina.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

Mkrtich
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@gangav  I see what you mean - just checked the current offer which expires tomorrow - very aggressive play by Optus and it seems to be a formidable product for introduction to the current form of 5G. It's a shame Optus didn't take up the Nokia Wi-Fi Beacon Mesh range to complement the Fastmile 5G to make it easier for people to extend in home Wi-Fi coverage with same brand technology.

For NBN services, the recent release of the Ultra WiFi Booster which is made by Sagemcom,  the same company that makes the NBN modems, removes the hassle factor of interconnecting multi vendor equipment for the majority of home users - a well chosen strategy. 

PS: Wi-Fi is half duplex. Theory - every time a connection is made through a Mesh or Extender, the speed will drop 50%, so if you start with a device at 100 Mbps, the first egress is down to 50 Mbps - if have a daisy chain arrangement or the other path is occupied, the next egress point is 25 Mbps which makes it to the router.  I have come to appreciate that sometimes theory and practice don't always line up - much safer to say 'speeds may reduce' 😀

Top Contributors