Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Highlighted
New Contributor varsur
New Contributor

Nokia 5G Modem NAT

Nokia 5G Modem have feature for port forwarding but when I add my ports and forwarding device it does not work and I cannot connect to that port from outside of my network. How can I get NAT to work on my Nokia 5G Modem.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Nokia 5G Modem NAT

No public/static ip is available on this service at all.
You will still be behind the CGNAT gateway.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor varsur
New Contributor

I don't need static IP Address. As long as I can forward port to dynamic IP Address. No Reply from optus yet. They keep saying that this is wireless service and its how this is setup. I guess Optus need to lift the game here. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

You WONT get a public ip from this service, therefore you will not be able to port forward as you dont have a public facing IP address.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@varsur wrote:

As long as I can forward port to dynamic IP Address. 

The problem is the CGNAT (which virtually all mobile and wireless services use) will give your service a dynamic IP address which is PUBLIC, but is SHARED with multiple other services. The IP address that your modem gets (dynamic or otherwise) is a PRIVATE IP address.

Because your public IP address is shared, port forwarding will not work for remotely initiated connections.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor lachlanaudas
New Contributor

I think there are 4 problems here,
1: The Nokia 5G Modem,  is running alpha software, (Optus in a rush to get 5G out the door).

2: I tried setting up the DDNS,    and thats a not show at the moment.  And your real need that for port forwarding.

3: You can't set the LAN static IP address, your stuck at 192.168.1.254.

4:  Most cell phone networks firewalls block all incoming connections full stop.

Where as NBN, Optus cable...etc don't.  The only way that will change if Opus allow you to control there 5G firewall rule's on a per user basis, which,  or disable the firewall on 5G,  which I doubt big time,  as they  5G system would be exposed to Denial of server's attack's and chew thou
the user's data allocation in about  2 mints, (if you have a download limit).  That's why they
block incoming connections on 2g/3g/4g,  it would slow down there network, and user would not be happy,  Given that 5G has much more capacity, but  it's not unlimited, and I would expect the same rules to applier,     Only other way around the problem is too setup something  like , wireguard and a
VPN,   this not not a simple task and beyond most user's, and also adds to the cost.
Let's hope optus get there act together,  or at lest state if they will allow incoming connections under user control.  and what time frame we could expect before it will be working.

Lachlan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor styelz
New Contributor

If you just want to access your network externally you can use ssh with reverse tunnel if you have another server which you can tunnel the ssh connection via. Or you could also use TeamViewer to access a desktop on your network.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors