cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question

Yes Crowd will close and be redirected to Help & Support on the 1st November 2021. Thank you to every member who has made this community such a helpful and supportive place for customers and staff to interact to help serve along with improve our products and services. You will be missed.

frenchlord
New Contributor
New Contributor

Limitations with Nokia Fastmile 5G config

Hi,

I'm very happy with the 5G speed and service provided by Optus overall, however I'm currently facing a few limitations with the Nokia Fastmile 5G  modem configuration.

(1) No way to setup a Static DHCP if needed (especially for NAS)

(2) No way to setup VPN from router (L2TP/Open VPN). Needed for security system and media streamers.

(3) No Guest Wi-Fi. 

(4) MESH - will you provide additional Nokia beacons/repeaters in the future? I guess a lot of your customers would be very interested by such additional device(s). 

Do you have any information about these features? Is it coming? If yes, do you have any ETA to share.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AndrewC1
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Limitations with Nokia Fastmile 5G config

@frenchlordI do not think you will get a response from Optus and if you do it will be a standard script saying POQ and head on over to our myapp support area.....

These are very good questions and as such I would head over to whirlpool and see if anyone has had these issues and if they resolved them.

Try the following thread:

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/thread/3ww4lzx3

Good luck with resolving your issues.

Beloved
New Contributor
New Contributor

I’ve tried creating Guest-Wifi and it works.

Try steps below:

1. Login to 192.168.1.254 (router page)

2. Select “Network” and then left panel Wireless 2.4Ghz / 5GHz 

3. Under “SSID Configuration” Section > check drop downs next to “SSD Select” - you can enable additional 4 SSIDs under each 2.4GHz & 5GHz (although unnecessary). 

4. Here you can enable additional SSID say SSID2 for “Guest-Wifi” and SSID1 being auto selected for your default 2.4GHz with whatever name you identified in the below “SSID Name” section during your initial set up.

Hope this helps?

//Dave

sysAdmin
Contributor
Contributor

@frenchlord Optus told me a new firmware would be pushed out within a month. Not sure if it will address your issues but we can hope.

I've found setting a static IP address on my computers in the 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.99 range works just fine. If you are looking for more complicated setups which provide more customisation I went with a second router. 

In my case I'm running a second router attached to the Nokia with a static IP of 192.168.1.1. This  router runs its own DHCP server. It wrestles with the Nokia, steals control and hands out the IP / Static IP reservations that I want. Then it tells all my devices that the default gatway is 192.168.1.254 and the secondary gateway is 192.168.1.1. That way, if the Nokia or Optus is down my traffic gets re-routed via NBN or Telstra 4G.  

To work around the VPN problem, I then setup custom routes so select traffic, like from a particular WiFi network in my house is routed to my Synology NAS which connects to an Open VPN server. It's not elegant or fast but it was free until I buy better hardware.

0 Kudos
AnchoviePaste
New Contributor
New Contributor

Cheers Dave, good advice <thumbs up>
0 Kudos
AnchoviePaste
New Contributor
New Contributor

would I be right in thinking if I have my network SSID established for my network,

and a new SSID for my guest visitor to use,

he wont be able to use any file sharing or shared printer services on my network as they are distinct and separate networks? akin to creating a guest network for him?

SSID networks are all separate and isolated from each other, even though they are running off the same hardware, is this correct? thanks! getting my head around it...

0 Kudos
frankielou
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi.

How do I set up a VPN this way?

Thank you 🙂

0 Kudos
Top Contributors