Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Home 5G - Huge and frequent packet loss on 5G but not on 4G fallback

Hi there, 

We are about 6 months into using Optus 5G and  have noticed the following issue lately (presently wasnt an issue as we  never received a 5G  signal for the first couple of months).

Particularly when playing Call of Duty we have noticed massive packet loss that makes gaming impossible. This however only occurs when it is connected to a 5G tower. I can literally be lagging around a game, see the modem fall back to 4G and everything is instantly super smooth. 

(We have actually started hiding the modem in parts of the house that get bad 5G signal when we are gaming)

I actually dont mind that we dont get a constant 5G signal (although as they are working in our area we find we are getting this signal more and more). 

Has anyone else had this issue and received an explanation from Optus on why the packet loss is happening on 5G but disappears the second it falls back to 4g?

Also is anyone aware of anyway to disable 5G in the modem settings? I was hoping to script something up so I could have gaming mode (4G) and normal mode (5G).

I am moving in the next few months so am not really interested in signing up for the NBN at this stage. 

10 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Home 5G - Huge and frequent packet loss on 5G but not on 4G fallback

@coastguy34  Maybe try a post on Whirlpool in this thread 

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/thread/3ww4lzx3?p=123

I am not an Optus employee. If a reply helps please give a Kudos and when an issue is solved please mark as solved.
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I agree with @Tigers1719 try whirlpool. Failing that try the Nokia web site forum if one exists to see if anyone has any ideas.

@coastguy34I have seen a few posts like yours over the last few weeks and have not seen any Optus response that is usefull. BTW myapp support based on my experience do not know how to support modems, so you will be wasting your time asking for help via myapp, unless you want to eventually make a formal complaint ans as such you will need some evidence that you tried to get help.

Another thing to see if there are any apps that allow you to get more detailed info out of the modem as can be done with the B5xx and  B818 modems as it may help in figuring out what is going on.

Good luck in fixing your problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Yeah. Same issue here. Can’t play warzone with 5G, packet loss up to 300%-400% but multiplayer games are fine, no packet loss at all. Also when I connect my ps4 to my mobile phone hotspot, no packet loss in warzone but has roughly 100ms ping.
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I spoke to Optus today as Warzone and Ground War on Call of Duty are unplayable as mentioned in this thread. According to 5G support, the packet loss is a known issue and there is currently no plan to fix it and nothing they can do. Pretty poor and a major oversight when the most popular online game is not playable on a high speed internet service. NBN is not available at my address either. There really should be a big disclaimer when purchasing home 5G to let customers know the limitations of the service. No gamers will purchase this service once this hits the forums.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Once I noticed the packet loss issue with 5G network, I contacted Optus and asked for changing to Optus NBN100 plan. They told me that i have to pay $431 cancellation fee. It’s ridiculous. I started using 5G less than a month when I contacted the stuff about the packet loss issue and I didn’t want to change to another company, all I want is switching 5G to NBN, they still wanna charge cancellation fee!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Optus have not provided a disclaimer or any kind of warning of this issue and i would assume it would be a fair assumption that you should be able to use it for gaming so personally I would call and ask again to change and of they try to charge ETC's then tell them you'll complain to the TIO if this is the case. They will then do their best to stop the complaint. The TIO complaints process is online and easy to do if you need to follow through.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Good idea. Thank you so much. I will contact Optus again tmr see what they can do about this issue. That 400% packet loss is unacceptable.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@feriferi @Mat1313 

I would lodged a complaint with Optus on their web site before going to the TIO as the TIO usually wants Optus (or ISP) to resolve the issue first.

Saying that if you have an email or have something from Optus or conversation dump from myapp where Optus have said they will not be fixing the issue and want to charge you to break the contract then IMHO Optus have had a chance at resolving the issue and therefore the next step is to make a TIO complaint that the service you have purchased was misleading and not acceptable  due to packet loss and you want to break the contract free of charge.

Good luck in getting a solution/outcome that you are happy with. BTW if you get no where there is the "50Mbps satisfaction guarantee" that you may be able to use if the speed sucks (on purpose if you know what I mean 😉).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

On the Optus 5G page check out the FAQ at the bottom:

I’m a gamer. Is 5G Home right for me?

Optus 5G home product is dimensioned to offer you the best possible experience as per the latest evolution of the technology. In its current form, you’d be able to use Optus 5G Home to play online if you are a casual gamer and/or if the latency is not the most critical concern to you. However, the technology is not evolved enough to offer single digit milliseconds latency yet. So, if you are a professional gamer and/or if single digit milliseconds latency is important to you then this product is not the right fit for you at this point in time.

And then have a look a the last paragraph on the What is the 50Mbps Satisfaction Guarantee? FAQ item

If a failure with the service does not amount to a major failure, you are entitled to have the failure rectified in a reasonable time. If this is not done you are entitled to cancel the contract for the service and obtain a refund of any unused portion. You are also entitled to be compensated for any other reasonably foreseeable loss or damage from a failure in the service.

So you may be able to use these as a get out of jail card using Optus's own FAQ info. I would give this a go and see how you go, but you need to speak with someone who can understand what you are asking and not just a script jockey support person.

0 Kudos