Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Highlighted
New Contributor Sandun
New Contributor

Eligibility to 5G homebroad despite slightly outside coverage map

Hi

My home is about 100m from the 5g coverage zone. Is it possible for me to join the $70 5g plan today and rely on the optus 4g network until 5g coverage is available.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Eligibility to 5G homebroad despite slightly outside coverage map

The plan is for 5g, offerings under 4g are not unlimited as their is way less capacity in 4g then 5g.

During sign up you have to go through a coverage check, so I would think they would not sell it to you if your outside of the area.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

The coverage zones are very much "suggestions" at the moment. Even being inside a coverage zone is no guarantee of a signal.
I suggest you drop into the local Optus store. They're setup to provide a walk in and walk out with a 5G modem service.
See if they'll let you signup, test and come back and cancel if you get no signal.

Peter Gillespie
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor CautionAhead
Occasional Contributor

As mentioned it's a suggestion, you've got to be a lot more than 600m from the tower to not get hint of the signal. Very worst you'll get a poor (Red) 5G signal and still smash any other mobile broadband offering
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor Ben_C
Occasional Contributor

Has anybody tried that?  I have line of sight to a tower 400m away, neighbours are listed as in area but my house is not, probably due to shadowing at the front of the house.  However the phone sales team can't sell to me since my address is not listed, nor tell me how I can request a coverage check or demonstrate coverage.

Cheers Ben

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Go into a physical shop, aim for the millennial who looks like he thinks you deserve 5G as a basic human right!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor Ben_C
Occasional Contributor

So...my local shop was very helpful, their coverage map is a lot more granular than the web version.  The back of my house is in a coverage square.  I signed up for a 5g plan with the understanding that if I can't get 5g it will revert to 4g (which for me is still 2x NBN speed at my house).

Plugged in, boot up and green 5g light, speedtest at ~70Mbps and optus@home says around 200Mbps.  Happy!

Cheers Ben

Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Good stuff, Ben!

Thanks very much for telling us about your experience. Enjoy those speeds ☺️ 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors