Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Junius
New Contributor
New Contributor

Difference between 5G home plans

Hi, 

I have some questions regarding the difference between the 5G internet everyday and 5G internet entertainer. 

1. theoretically, if both plans were running side by side, both will get the same speed, but the Everday will have a speed cap of 80ish MB. 

2. is the Everyday specifically speed throttled JUST because it's the cheaper plan? or the higher price just gives an unlimited download speed, NOT a faster speed as well compared to the Everyday

hope its understandable, thank you.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Tina_YC

Re: Difference between 5G home plans

Hi @Junius, thanks for getting in touch with us and bringing this to our attention. 

For a better understanding, you can look over the Critical information summary page for $75 5G Internet Everyday and $90 5G Internet Entertainer

From what I have gathered, On the $90 5G Internet Entertainer plan, customers are provided with access to uncapped speeds on Optus’ 5G network that currently delivers an average download speed of 239Mbps between 7pm-11pm*. Therefore, it's a higher price as it provides faster download speeds. 

I hope this clears up any misunderstandings. Tina.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

"or the higher price just gives an unlimited download speed, NOT a faster speed as well compared to the Everyday"

Yeah, that doesn't really make sense.

The cheaper plan is capped at 80Mbps always. The more expensive plan is uncapped and you can get anywhere between 80-400Mbps but won't know until you try.
0 Kudos
Tom2222
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

The limited/cheaper plan is not capped at 80Mbps.

These are my results at 5:20pm, streaming Channel 10 and some other background apps that use the Internet constantly uploading ADSB data or refreshing web pages.

PING ms - 18
DOWNLOAD Mbps - 100.23
UPLOAD Mbps - 40.95

If you live in a good 5G area or up high (Level 2 or above) with clear views you shouldn't have an issue.

I find the 100Mbps a soft cap, if there is Bandwidth available, you will get it. It all depends where you live.

Around me are 4 Cell towers, sometimes randomly it picks the one the most distance away going on the white light, but doing a Speed Test still gives max results. Local Tower is ~350m, furthest is 750m and there are no windows on that side. The other 2 are about 600m but have Line of Sight, but rarely uses them. Even had one, directly behind me, which would mean through 4 concrete walls show up, never worked out which tower that was. So maybe the modem just reported wrong info on the lights.

Often find even doing a Speed Test while downloading on the 750m one the results are still in the 90-100's

I have set up an Antenna Sweep at 2am on the modem. Never had an issue. It just works 😁

This is despite Optus telling me I can't receive 5G Home Broadband at my address.

What you need to do is research, search maprad.io/au so see where you sit. Optus hasn't updated their maps for ages and if you are not in the 5G zone the computer will say No, but there are ways around this.

Hope this helps, even if a bit late, got a Job after this Covid hell 😁
Tom2222
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

If you are in the VIC 3068 area, willing to drag the box over for a beer & testing.

She is a large lady, not your pocket WiFi hotspot 😉

0 Kudos
Top Contributors