Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
mareed1956
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Complaint about emails being deactivated when switching from NBN to 5g

We have just changed from NBN to 5g and I repeatedly asked for a promise that there would be no interruption to service and that the email serivce would continue.  Then without any warning once the NBN service was switched off as we were established on 5g, the emails stopped, and I couldn't connect to the server.  We were away at the time but returned home a few days later and started the process of trying to find out what the problem was, all the while having that sinking feeling that Optus had deleted our email service.  After 2 attempts at the online chat and waiting for 4 hours to be 'tranferred shortly', I tried a Facebook message and that at least got a response.  After the usual 'have you turned it off and back on again, it might be a problem with your software' type of rubbish, eventually it was admitted that the emails had been de-activated.  Why on earth when transferring a customer from one service to another would you 'de-activate' their emails??  I have a lot of personal information about medical appointments and other important emails saved in my folders, and so far all that has happened in response is that the email address has been reactivated, but all the years and years of emails are lost.  Absolutley not good enough and if a solution is not found and the emails are not restored, we will be cancelling all services and going elsewhere.  We have been Optus clients ever since first getting internet probably 15 years ago?  This treatment is absolutely apalling and if I have lost all that information then there is absolutely no reason to stay with Optus, if I have to start from scratch I will be doing it with another company.  I am sure that information can be retrieved and as far as I am concerned if that doesn't happen very soon then Optus can collect their 5g equipment and we will leave them.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Jeneral__Pain
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Complaint about emails being deactivated when switching from NBN to 5g

The email accounts are attached to the service they were established. I had to move my parents Optus accounts to their mobile BEFORE I cancelled their cable service so they didn't lose their emails.

It sounds more like you chose to cancel the NBN service and then tried to move the email accounts after the fact.

This is why I hate email accounts tied to a service provider because it's a "free add-on" service with very little care/support. As a side note, they won't "come and pick up their hardware", if you wish to cancel, you'll be required to return it to them.
I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.
0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

I know Optus can recover the emails if the account closure is recent, but I don't know how long "recent" is. The email address itself is recoverable up to 90 days from cancellation of service.

0 Kudos
mareed1956
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your reply.  It shouldn't have been up to us to move the emails before cancelling the NBN service, this was something I discussed when first asking about switching to 5g and was assured there would be no interrruption to the service, and the emails would continue.  How would I know that the emails had to be transferred separately when  I had been assured there would be no problem?  'It sounds more like you chose to cancel the NBN service and then tried to move the email accounts after the fact' -   I didn't choose to cancel the service then try to move the email accounts, I was told there would be no issue with the email service continuing.  I was led to beleive this would be a transfer of the service and there would be no problem.  This is a case of being told one thing and then another thing entirely has happened, and as the customer I stupidly believed what I was being told by Optus, with the result that all my emails now seem to be lost.

0 Kudos
mareed1956
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I really hope you are right, I have a lot of important personal information saved in the emails.  So far they have re-activated one email address but no emails have been returned yet.  The email address seems to have been de-activated roughly 7 days ago so fingers crossed.

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@mareed1956 wrote:

This is a case of being told one thing and then another thing entirely has happened, and as the customer I stupidly believed what I was being told by Optus,.

Unfortunately as a customer you are supposed to believe what Optus tells you.

Optus have a serious problem with their staff not knowing what they are talking about and just saying things to placate the customer, and then when things go wrong continually pass you around from staff member to staff member.

0 Kudos
mareed1956
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I should have known better, having had the run around previously when they wouldn't accept reponsibility for an issue.  At this point I am ready to walk away altogether if they can't restore my emails.

0 Kudos
Kartika

Hi @mareed1956, we can definitely look into reactivating your email address. We don`t have access to customers account on this public forum. You will need to speak with our support team either via the → messaging service or by calling them on 131344 - Mon - Fri 8am - 8pm AEST to look into this for you.

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
mareed1956
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Kartika, we are already pursuing this through the support team, and they have reactivated one email adress but all the stored emails and history for past years are gone apparently. One other email adress has not yet been reactivated but that is fairly new so I don't really care about that one, its the already reactivated one that did have all my important information stored it it and that seems to have been lost.  Optus are apparently going to call tomorrow to discuss, if a solution is not forthcoming then we will definitely be taking our services elsewhere.  What should have been a fairly simple case of transferring from one service to another has turned into a debacle.

0 Kudos
mareed1956
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

An update on our email issues, after spending a lot of time in several phone calls today, my emails have been restored to my Optus Webmail.  Not in my Outlook program, but at least in Webmail and I am in the process of emailing them all from there back to my email address in Outlook.  Phew!!

While I am happy that the emails were not lost and I have them all back, it still took lots of messages to Optus threatening cancellation before anyone from customer service actually finally got in touch today. As the email service was deactivated approx Wednesday last week (we were away so I'm not exactly sure when it happened) it has taken until today for any contact from Optus.  There have been replies to meassages saying someone would be in touch, but today was the first time anyone actually got in touch to assist.  I can't remember how long we have been Optus customers, but somewhere in the vicinity of 15 to 20 years and I am very disappointed with how long this has taken to resolve. At least the 5g service seems to be working well so that's something I suppose!

0 Kudos
Top Contributors