cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Re: 5g home wifi

I'm basically in the next Suburb as these 5G customers in Newtown, but I am not covered as yet for 5G. I have added myself to be contacted when it does become available. The Coverage Map is now 3 months old, with no update to it since November 2019.

Talk about a dogs breakfast with Optus 5G. I've just read through this whole Topic and some of the statements made I find surprising.

With regards to the 50Mbps guarantee: Copied from Post by petergdownload-  "FWIW the Optus 5G guarantee isn't actually a promise that you will get 50 Mbps minimum but its a promise that if you don't get better than that then you can return any equipment and leave anytime."

No where within any documentation does it say 'promise'. The following has been copied from the 5G Home page: "Home internet without the lengthy waits for installation.
Take up 5G Home for unlimited data, simple set-up, no speed caps and a 50Mbps Satisfaction Guarantee."

There is no mention of a promise, its a satisfaction guarantee that you will get a minimum of 50Mbps. If I were these 2 customers, I would be returning everything back to Optus under the Satisfaction Guarantee.

A designated number to call for 5G is provided to customers, and when you call, you can't get any satisfactory response from them to help you. Why should they be trying other avenues to have their to contact Optus to have their problems addressed. 

I will be seriously reconsidering 5G once it does become available in my area, if it will be a viable option over 4G LTE.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Promise. Guarantee. Call it what your like. What needed clarifying was what was the actual commitment Optus has made.

The OP asked how Optus can suggest 100+ MBPS speeds and have such a poor reality. Optus hasn't started any likely speeds with 5g. This is because it has no way of knowing what speeds any one will get for the time being. Could be 10mbps or 300 Mbps.
So they offer a 50 Mbps cut off that means you can leave with zero penalty of your speeds are under that. The OP knows that and no one is suggesting they can't leave any time now. All people on this thread are trying to do is see if they can help get the 5g working well, as presumably the OP would prefer that to leaving just yet.
FWIW I think a dedicated 5g contact line is a great bonus. Much rather that to slowly working your way through the common Optus service que to try find someone that can help. Although by reports or doesn't seem like the dedicated line is well manned unfortunately.

Wonder if the OP had fixed things or thrown in the towel for now?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Hi Forum posters - unexpected outcomes - just curious, are any of the quoted speeds mentioned in this thread using a LAN cable from a PC to the Nokia 5G Fastmile modem gigabit ports? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Tried that. No difference. It’s a coverage issue, not a problem as far as I can see with the modem.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Unless you can actually see the Optus tower from where you place the modem it won’t work. Me and two friends, all in diff parts of Sydney but all supposedly covered by 5g signed up just before Xmas and art now off it as it is useless. I presume the technology will improve, but I frankly think it’s unethical if Optus yo be flogging this when even their own tech staff concede it is very undercooked.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Yep. Me and two friends have each ditched it. It’s a dog. I think it unethical that Optus release and promote a product they even their own tech support concede is unready.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Business and ethics are two very separate areas usually. I've had a lot of reservations about Optus ethics in past (and some current) practices. However the 5G promotion is about as straight shooting as you can get IMO. No promises are made other than if you can't get 50Mbps minimum then you can leave any time.

The deal is in black and white and upfront. Take it or leave it is your choice. It appears both business savvy and ethical IMO.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

As I mentioned it's pretty explicit, have a crack, not happy exit the plan no skin off your nose. I rolled the dice and have awesome speed. It was a better option than the NBN cable and conduit nightmare across the front of my house and quicker/cheaper to boot
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

‘No skin off my nose?’

Ha! I’ve spent hours on the phone. I’ve been back and forth to Optus stores twice to get new SIM cards I didn’t need. I’ve been misinformed by Optus technicians.

And on top of that I had practically no internet for about 3 weeks.

Sorry mate, maybe you have more free time than me.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Yes, business and ethics are different things.

But promoting something, and trying to convince me the fact it didn’t work was my fault, stinks.

Even their techs concede it’s not a great product.

You genuinely think it’s ethical to promote something you know is a dud? And to stuff people around who try to prove that fact to you and try to conceive them it’s your fault and not theirs?

And why guarantee something that you know there’s a good chance you cant deliver on?

If I were to buy, say, a tv, and it come with a guarantee you presume, and have the right to presume, that the tv will work and that the guarantee means something. That’s what guarantees are for. A company should be able to rest their reputation on their guarantee. Putting it another way, a company is only as good as its guarantee.

As I said previously , I have two other friends, different parts of Sydney, but all supposedly within range for this deal and they are as dudded as me. Three out of three. Fortunately for me I had the time to spend hours and hours on the phone dealing with Optus and could eventually get out of it. It only took 5 minutes to enter this deal, but hours getting out.
My friends haven’t had the opportunity to do likewise. No Netflix for them.
0 Kudos
Top Contributors