Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Daffod998
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

5g Coverage Update

Hey World.

Currently waiting for updates to the Optus coverage maps. They haven't changed for 12+ Months since I've been checking my area.

Recently came across https://www.rfnsa.com.au. Which shows currently tower locations and info about the towers.

In my area there are multiple 5G enabled Optus towers (which my iPhone 12 connects to) but Optus still shows as no 5G in my area. Sizeable area of 2-3 suburbs.

Any ideas on rollout timeframe/map updates? Would love to get on the unlimited 5G home broadband.
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
AndS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: 5g Coverage Update

@Daffod998You are up the creek without a connection to Optus....

Been in the same boat since July last year and the answer I get from optus is that 5G coverage can be seen in the coverage maps..... which is not what I or you are asking.

If you find an answer that is valid or find some site or page that has details please post a response on this thread.

0 Kudos
Daffod998
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Yep.

Thought as much.

Zero Updates to Coverage Map.
In my local Westfield, Optus here is Advertising 5G is in my local Suburb.

But the maps still say otherwise, even when going into Optus shop.
Bit of a fail that their maps haven't been updated. Especially with 5 towers in my area.
lcurtin
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I am in the same position for 18 months with no success and even while on chat sending through screen recordings from my phone which clearly shows via both google maps and speedtest user location that i am at home with 5G signal in a double brick wall home getting significant 5G results, only to be told that according to their system there is no 5G available at my address😡😡.

Below screenshot of test while chatting to optus on their app whilst doing screen recording:

Screenshot_20210606-112732_Speedtest edit.jpg

0 Kudos
AndS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@lcurtinOptus and other mobile providers limit both 4G and 5G broadband users in an area so that the towers are not oversubscribed and affect the 5G mobile service as they make more money from mobile services compared to broadband services.

Just because you can get 5G on a mobile does not mean that Optus have enough capacity on the towers near you for broadband users.

0 Kudos
lcurtin
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

@AndS if that were indeed the case how come other addresses in the area which would be part the same mobile tower coverage are able to get service???
0 Kudos
AndS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@lcurtinWhich site are you using to get the tower info from?  Are you also using the Optus 5G coverage maps to see where the 5G is available in the suburb as it may vary like the example below, where dark purple is 5G:

AndS_0-1623469474541.png

0 Kudos
lcurtin
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

@AndS using both the ACMA and RFNSA websites.

Optus haven't updated there maps for my area for over 6 months.

0 Kudos