cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

5G rollout in Padstow Heights

Does anyone know why some people in Padstow Heights are able to get 5G Optus home broadband while others like me in the same suburb are being told not in coverage area. It’s a bit frustrating as my 4G speeds are not enough for the growing family and NBN is not a food enough option as it’s last mile degraded copper which would cost me $10K to go full on fibre to the premise.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted

Re: 5G rollout in Padstow Heights

Hi @Kasun with 5G it runs on high frequency which means the signal can`t travel long distance as such it covers small area compared to 4G which runs on a bit lower frequency and has more coverage area. Also with 5G the device (modem) has to be in direct line with the tower else the connection won`t work. This could be the reason your particular address is not serviceable. However you can register your interest → here and when it is available we will notify you.

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi Kartika,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I do understand the technical reasons but since the 5G modem will also fall back to 4G when 5G is not detected, and the fact that both 5G and 4G solutions are priced equal, wouldn’t it be prudent to have more people signing up to the 5G plan with expectation of the full coverage in near future. I mean for someone like me in proximity yet no line of sight should be given that option at a minimum. I’m holding back on going to NBN with this hope. And most of all Optus has the competitive advantage to leverage a large customer base like me who are in limbo. I’m sure this will not be the case when we have your competitors offering 5G solutions too. I in fact have registered myself for 5G updates in your page maybe more than 10 times over the last year or two with the hope of getting noticed. But like I said it’s only a matter of time till the other players come steal potential customers like me. I know like me there is many would shop around if had options but for now when there isn’t I’m prepared to say YES’ to Optus any day.

Cheers,

K
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

And also for the record, when I use Optus app to find the closest 5G tower. It shows “Excellent” positioning with only 0.53km to Padstow Heights tower. So I’m very upset for Optus to say NO when I literally beg you to sign me up for a 24 months plan for 5G.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Appreciate where you are coming from @Kasun however we can`t sell 5G products to customers just because they have 4G coverage to fall back to. When sales team check the serviceability of an add and if it is not serviceable with 5G then we can`t sell that product. That would be for e.g. selling a lower end product by promising a higher end product even when we know customer can`t get higher end product. This is the very reason we also offer 4G Home wireless broadband to customers. Please visit our → 4G Home wireless broadband page for more info.

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Top Contributors