cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

5G outage Scoresby VIC

5G down since yesterday. Nokia modem could do nothing, although there's a solid green dot at the centre, which indicate 4G connected, when access the modem management portal, it actually says the LTE and 5G both Disconnected.

Called Optus and had the problem number (23247418), however, there's no progress yet. Quite annoying as I'm WFH... several things don't understand, and would like the help here:

1. Anyone knows the status of the outage issue? I'm 400m away to a 5G tower, but after the network down, using the Home App can't find that tower... it says I'm actually out of the 5G area. How could the tower disappear, even from the App's map (guess it doesn't need the signal, but only the map data).

2. Why the Nokia Modem can't do 4G as Optus advertised? My mobile phone (Optus) and another 4G mobile broadband have good 4G signal.

3. Nokia modem now just keep rebooting itself. Per the Optus agent who answered my call, it's the technical staff trying to remote debugging the issue... so my modem could be remotely accessed/controlled? If not, does it mean the fault of the modem?

4. Anyone knows what the case manager suppose to do? When starting my 5G service, I received an SMS saying s/he is managing my account, can just SMS him/her if there's any issue. I did when encounter the outage, but no one responded... 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted

Re: 5G outage Scoresby VIC

Hi @richwu, really sorry to hear of your experience.

We can certainly assist with your 5G home internet enquiries. 

If there is an issue  or there is a network  outage then this might impact 4G and 5G both depending on the issue. We have checked the fault 23247418 and can see techs are working on it. 

We can reset your connection to check the connection but that is not the same as controlling your modem. We  can't restart your modem but can only reset the connection. 

Optus tech case managers work on the fault, investigate it, manages if a new modem is required. If you had a case manager when setting up a new account, then they are responsible for making sure the account is set up correctly from the time you submit your order. 

I hope this helps.  Please refer to our Help & Support page here for further assistance. If the issue still continues then you are best to speak with our Technical Support team via the messaging service to assist you further.

If for some reason you’re unable to, if you have a social media (Facebook or Twitter) account then please send a PM to Optus on Facebook or a DM on Twitter with the details for further assistance mentioning you’re unable to use the My Optus app

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks @Aman_YC , my major concern is when 5G's down without reason, the 4G also gone... Unlike what Optus advertised there's always backup network. I'm working from home, no internet connection extremely impacts my work. I even don't know how long the situation would last, that frustrates me, and think it's really a deal-breaker

As I posted, the nearby 5G tower (400m to my house) just disappeared from the 'Find an Optus 5G tower' function of Optus App. I reckon the app uses the pre-defined tower location, rather than the real-time 5G signal, then why the tower disappears? Any hint that Optus would stop the service where it originally provides?

Another thing about the Nokia Fastmile modem, it keeps rebooting. Would stay with a central solid green dot for a while, although there's actually no LTE connection nor internet access, then reboot itself... per what @Aman_YC said, the tech staff can only reset connection but not reboot the modem, why it keeps doing so?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi there, @richwu

The tower might not be available while we are working on it, as they do take them 'offline' in a sense, to complete work/upgrades for safety reasons.

If you don't notice a change once the work is completed, it is something that can then be raised with IT.

In regards to the modem issue, it may be rebooting because it's damaged/faulty? This could also be causing the lack of 4G/5G network signal. We do recommend having a chat by messaging us via the My Optus App. The team is available 24/7 and are ready to assist customers as quickly as possible.

Or you can log a fault via the Network Status Page after searching your address, in the notification box in the bottom left corner. 

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi @Casey_YC , thanks for the response.

Any idea where I can check the status of the issue with the issue number? It's kind of frustrating being blind here, knowing nothing of the progress.

I also tried Messaging, hmmm... bad experience as I waited for 1.5 hours with no one replying me, except the bot.

What I need now is a follow-up to let me know what's going on, and how long I shall expect to wait, but seems it's quite difficult to get that.

Would say, really disappointing

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hey @richwu - Thanks for sharing this.

The fault number itself is for our teams to investigate this. It's not something we have a  system to check upon however, they will provide a call back as soon as they have further information as to what could be the cause or issue. I can confirm that fault 23247418 is being investigated though. We're yet to be provided a concrete resolution at this stage.

In relation to have this raised and assisted over the phone, you can call our team on 1300 101 693 who are the 5G Experts. They can guide you through some troubleshooting and if it is deemed an issue, they will work with you to find an appropriate remedy. They'll also be able to answer specific questions in relation to connectivity.

Top Contributors