Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
CBrnt
New Contributor
New Contributor

5G home internet limited speeds

Hi, wondering if anyone else has experienced suspiciously slower speeds shortly after the 'honeymoon period' after connection? First two weeks were amazing, then the next week my speeds suddenly dropped to approx 50-90Mbps. The first two weeks week prior they were consistently 450Mbps+. It's almost as if there's intentional throttling going on by Optus.

No environmental factors have changed, no outages to explain the slow speeds. I literally took my modem to the rooftop today where I am 230m away from a tower with no obstructions and all I received was 45Mbps.

Anyone else might know what's going on?

Tags (3)
1 Reply
Serena_YC

Re: 5G home internet limited speeds

Hi @CBrnt

Just to confirm, have you also tried adjusting your WiFi settings between the 2.4GHz and 5Ghz network to check if this would improve your speeds? 

We would also suggest running a speed test whilst connect to the modem via Ethernet. If speeds are poor, that may indicate that there's an issue with the WiFi connection. 

I would also recommend checking our How to find the best 5G signal support page for some steps in positioning your 5G modem as this may help improve speeds as well. 

If the issue persists, please get in touch with our 5G Technical Support team on 1300 101 693 (operates from Mondays to Fridays 8AM - 8PM AEST and Saturdays 9AM - 5PM AEST) for further assistance. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors