cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Re: 5G Speed caps

Optus 5G isn't piggybacked on to the 4G LTE network, it is using the same 4G spectrum bandwidth. This is why Vividwireless was closed, so the 4G spectrum that was being used by Vividwireless, would increase the overall Optus 4G spectrum, without having to apply to the government to buy more 4G spectrum.

The documentation does not say that uploads are being utilised on the 4G network at 4G speeds, as KingFlimsy has highlighted on many occasions. As explained above, 5G is presently operating on the same spectrum bandwidth as 4G, but not using the 4G network. 5G is its own network that is operating on the 4G spectrum bandwidth. Again, 5G is not piggybacked on the 4G network. So by rights, the Upload speeds should be greater than what KingFlimsy is getting.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Err... vividwireless used the B40 TDD 2300Mhz spectrum that still is in use today. Once the old wimax network was closed down quite a number of years ago all vividwireless services operated on standard LTE (Optus's own network).

This product is NOT using 4g spectrum for 5g yet - its been tested with dynamic switching, but for now this product runs solely on 5g spectrum in the 3300-3800Mhz n78 range while attached to the 4g core network for this particular release.

Current 5g specification for the band n78 is that its TDD, where spectrum for upload and download is the same, people download way more then upload so more time slots are set at network level for download.

The router will use data from the 4g network in its normal operation.
• Dual connectivity (EN-DC)
– 1 LTE + DC 5G (1+n78, 3+n78, 7+n78, 28+n78)
– 2 LTE + DC 5G (1+3+n78, 1+7+n78, 3+7+n78)
– 3 LTE + DC 5G (1+3+7+n78)

Upload speed is not advertised nor is it part of any speed guarantee, you would also notice that telcos dont include an upload speed for "peak" for the NBN products,

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I can assure you that the service is capped.

I spoke to the guys installing 5G on the tower two streets away from me just before Christmas. I checked the Optus website daily and hooned down to my local Optus store on the day my address was listed as active.

This is a typical result I got in the first couple of days (any time of day). https://www.speedtest.net/result/a/5656860764

After two days, the speed dropped (any time of day). https://www.speedtest.net/result/8955723498

By the end of the first week, the speed dropped again and hasn't changed since in six weeks. https://www.speedtest.net/result/9064596146

I'm not complaining about the speed. However, it's extremely unlikely that enough people signed up to 5G within two days to slow the connection that much, and then again further. I don't get above 330Mbps even in the early hours of the morning, let alone 605Mbps like I initially did. It's being shaped.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Pumpino, thanks for the info on your speeds. I have a question that may sound stupid, but I have not read anything on it - Does your computer have a problem processing the faster speeds?

I'm only thinking that with these fast download speeds, a computer maybe unable to process it, unless you have a super-duper computer.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

My computer is a second hand HP ProDesk with a slow i3 processor, running linux, connected directly to the Nokia router, so definitely not.

However, you can see that the 605Mbps result was obtained on my mobile phone (Pocophone F1). https://www.speedtest.net/android/5656860764.png

I will say that cheaper mobile phones often have capped wifi speeds. For example, my Pocophone could handle that speed, however my Redmi Note 7 Pro can't get more than around 290Mbps, even when the Pocophone, my new Realme 5 Pro and my computer are getting 330Mbps from the same speed test server, so it's probably limited to 300Mbps.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

The problem has never been addressed and no one has ever answered why the upload speeds are so bad.

If I had 20mb upload like Pumpino has been getting I wouldn't have been complaining at all.

I am aware that Optus doesn't advertise an upload speed that doesn't mean its not important to your customers.

https://www.speedtest.net/result/9064809674 (243 Down - 4 Up)

This is my result as at now I have not hit the 300down mark in quite some time. The network was down for nearly 24hours last weekend.

As for the question about computer speed. If you are concerned if the computer be the cause my computer specs are as follows:

i7 8086K

32GB@3200Mhz

1TB NMVE Samsung Pro

1080ti.

It either shaped or your hardware on the tower near my place is faulty however I have always struggled to get much higher upload. All the advertised testing of 5G in Australia shows a much higher upload speed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I had a similar issue with upload speeds. They were around 20Mbps to start with, then jumped up to 47Mbps for a while, and then dropped to around 4Mbps like yours. The router reported that band 1 was being used in every case. Restarting and relocating the router didn't help.

I complained to Optus and their response was that they don't guarantee a minimum upload speed. I acknowledged this, but noted that my upload speed had significantly deteriorated, and I insisted that they pass on my issue to the networking team. I asked if they would let me know the outcome and I was told "probably not" (and I wasn't). Pathetic support.

Anyway, within a day or two, my uploads increased to 20Mbps again and haven't changed since.

I'd suggest it's a common configuration issue with your tower.

EDIT: Just for your info, uploads are handled by 4G. We only get 5G for downloads.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

The worst thing about this whole Optus experience has been that rather then see if something is not working or actually looking into if there is a problem the response has been "We don't guarantee an upload speed." The fact that your "new" technology is slower then Telstra's 4G should be embarrassing and should be looking if there is something wrong or a way to improve.

I mean while trying to type out this message and the last the 5G has dropped out twice. But you know there couldn't possibly be wrong with anything at your end because its not guaranteed in the contract.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Yes, I've found the support to be painful. I've had to verify who I am, explain the problem in detail to someone and then be transferred because it's "not my area". I then have to explain the issue again to someone else, and I've even been transferred to a third person on occasion.

I've also got account issues. Firestly, I never received my bill and they posted me a letter threatening to disable the service. I rang and spent 30 minutes on the phone. They'd entered my email address incorrectly. She was able to immediately email me the bill, but could not correct my email address on their system. What kind of system is it if it won't even let them change an email address? She finally fixed it.

When I signed up in an Optus store, they added my 5G service to an old 4G prepaid data sim account I registered but never recharged, as it had my details in it already and was easier for them. However, when I log into My Account with my email address, the 5G service isn't there; only the old prepaid data sim is, so I can't set up direct debit and I got charged $2.20 for using BPay with my first bill. I'll have to ring them again. It's painful.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors