Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor KingFlimsy
Occasional Contributor

5G Speed caps

Hi,

When I called the Optus sales line and spoke to the technical team I was told that there were no speed caps to the 5G network and it  was based on your location. However this does not seem to be the case my download is 300Mbps (great) my upload is between 3 and 5 (terrible) there is no way that the upload isn't being capped.

Is there something someone can do to help with this? I get 35 to 40Mbps upload on my 4G mobile phone in my house. This doesn't make sense.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: 5G Speed caps

Its a technical limitation.
Current 5g is called non stand alone - means 5g has to hitch a ride with 4g network at the moment.
Downloads via 5g, uploads still by 4g.

Not much you can do about it,beside keep trying different locations around where you live and see if it improves.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Well that's false advertising when I called I was never informed of that and where do they say that in advertising.
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

They never guarantee nor quote upload speed.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Correct but they also don't tell you it's the 4G network. Which is false advertising by omission.
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

It uses the 5g network.
All 5g in Australia, actually world (beside a few test networks) runs non stand alone, meaning it piggybacks off the 4g network.
Stand alone 5g is expected later next year when devices and the actual 5g spec is finalised.

No one is hiding anything form you, you still connect to the 5g network.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

I appreciate your responses however no where in any of Optus's advertising or technical information does it say it's 5G for downloads and 4G for the uploads. I have asked the Optus technical support staff about the issue and was not told it was 4G I specifically wouldn't have got the connection. I am going to contact Optus today to cancel. You can't really believe that saying it's 5G but we use the 4G network as a backup is the same as it's 5G for downloads and 4G for uploads. That's 100% misleading.
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Thats your choice, im purely stating the facts and what Optus (and Telstra) advertise.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Please provide a link where in their 5g home broadband advertising say it's 5G for downloads and 4G for uploads?
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Can link you to the 5g standard release set by 3gpp that governs the spec, but thats about it.

You wont find anything from Optus nor Telstra in regards to the technical side.

Optus does not state any upload speed or guarantees any such upload speed - its download only.

You need to wait at least another year before stand alone 5g comes around, even then it will take considerable cost and time to implement it.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors