cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
tj_hudson
New Contributor
New Contributor

5G Rollout in St Kilda East

Do we have an ETA on how long it will be until 5G is available at X XXXXXX Road? Most of 3183 has 5G, but I’m sat slightly in an area that isn’t covered

0 Kudos
Reply
5 Replies
Steven_YC
Moderator
Moderator

Re: 5G Rollout in St Kilda East

Hey @tj_hudson - Thanks for sharing this with the interest of 5G. I've just removed your address as we're an open forum and this is accessible by anyone.

Our team are working to have the network rolled out as soon as possible right across Australia. We're yet to have an exact ETA of when 5G will be at your address however, we regularly update our 5G offering through this link and I'd recommend checking this out every so often for the latest news.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

AndS
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: 5G Rollout in St Kilda East

@tj_hudsonOn your mobile download an app called "AUS Phone Towers" and see where the towers are near you and if closest tower has 5G then you are IMHO out of luck. If the closest tower to you does not have 5G then you will have to wait for Optus to install 5G and then allow people to use it.

 

Where I am Optus installed 5G in July last year, but I still cannot get 5G.....

You can check the towers near you to see what they currently have installed from the following page:

https://www.rfnsa.com.au/?first=1

 

Optus so far have not given any ETA to requests that I have seen. They also will not confirm 5G is on a tower if they have not enabled people to connect to it (in my case 99% of the response is "it's not available and have no ETA when it will be ..." and the other 1% I got a someone who told the trush and said that they do not have access to when 5G will be enabled until it is")

 

tj_hudson
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: 5G Rollout in St Kilda East

So I used that app Aus Phone Towers and there’s a 5G mast less than 600m away in two directions. How close do you have to be to connect to it?
0 Kudos
Reply
AndS
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: 5G Rollout in St Kilda East

@tj_hudsonDepends on allot of things, but in your case the biggest one is that Optus's system says it's not available, so they will not sell it to you at that address.

When it is (probably never) then if there are any buildings, trees or other obstacles between you and the tower then you will have issues. I do not know what the line of site distance is.

0 Kudos
Reply
tj_hudson
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: 5G Rollout in St Kilda East

I just did a quick speed test on my 4G modem and it gave an average of 74.4mbps download 30mbps upload and 26ms ping. I was surprised how much difference there was by simply moving the modem up stairs near a window. Might just have to stick with this for now until we hear otherwise
0 Kudos
Reply
Top Contributors