Occasional Contributor

Re: 5G Home Broadband explained | What you need to know

Hi
0 Kudos
MichaelJa
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: 5G Home Broadband explained | What you need to know

I have similar results and speed variations, some of my work includes interviews using a variety of platforms like Microsoft Teams, Zoom etc. To quickly recover from the quality of the 5 G stream lowering while on call or when starting, I invested in two alternate modems from multiple mobile carriers plus using the mobile phone data. I use SpeedTest app on my laptop and mobile to test the Current speed (which is often) different depending if the traffic on 5G is busy or not. I've discovered the 5G Green signal is often on but the speed or quality varies. My laptop often gives my a warning about this to avoid a sudden dropout.
0 Kudos
JimmyBananas
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: 5G Home Internet explained | What you need to know

Hi Team,

Ok some tricks for setting up ##5GOptusInternet from my point of view

1. The Nokia router HAS TO HAVE LINE OF SIGHT WITH THE TOWER to get anywhere close to seeing a green good connection light. I walked around my house with the router on a power extension cable, turning it on and off and waiting. Only when I could physically see the tower did the router connect and turn green. It was red most of the time.
  2. Changing the SSIDs to be labelled as 2GHz and 5GHz (Router/Network/Wireless/SSID configuration. I was getting awful WIFI on my iPads and iPhones when in another room or 20meters away from the router. Amazing speed 10ft from router, but very low in the bedroom. House is weatherboard with tile roof and single story. Logging into the router I saw that the SSID name for 2GHz and 5GHz was the same, so maybe the device or router was selecting the best signal. After renaming the SSID to 2GHz-NOKIA-xxxx and 5GHz-NOKIA-xxxx and then only choosing 5GHz for all my Apple devices (that were connected via WIFI) did I see much improved speeds when away from the router.
  3. Router position. I have had some increase in WIFI signal by placing the router up higher (was currently sitting on a TV cabinet), but still within line of sight of the tower.
  4. Ethernet is faster than WIFI. No brainer here. My house has ethernet running to my home office and then back to a Netgear Gigabit switch. I have an ethernet cable coming out from the LAN 3 port on the bottom of the router to my switch, so speeds are very fast via ethernet... Best was 734Mbps down and about 51.3Mbps up (tested via Okla app).

It was disappointing that my Optus rep could not give me any more info to help my WIFI or some ethernet issues. Seems like they are in a big learning phase as well and could only suggest I try Google Mesh or Nokia Beacons (which I cannot find anywhere in AUS). If you need to set up a mesh... here is an interesting link... https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/557643?page=1#comment

In short, it you cannot physically see a cell tower from your house or appt, don't bother with 5G Internet... you may find that you cannot get a good connection...

I hope this helps others who are trialling the service. 

I am still in my free month, so will keep testing over the next two weeks before I switch off my NBN.

Cheers, James

Top Contributors