Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Ben_C
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: 5G Home Broadband

Hi, I am within the coverage zone of the Dudley NSW tower, neighbours are listed as covered but my house is not.  I suspect this is due to shadowing from the houses between me and the tower.

However the rear of my house (including my study) have line of sight to the tower at 400m.  The sales people are unable to help me as my address is not listed, and there is no process to check coverage at the premises. 

Is there a process/test I can run to verify (or not) my signal?  I don't have a 5g phone to use.  Will a store be able to sign me up so that I can test?

Thanks Ben

0 Kudos
Pal42
New Contributor
New Contributor

I'm interested in 5G home broadband.  My address shows its available but I'd like to see where the closest tower is.  I don't have an Optus account to use the app, is there another way I can find out?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Aron_YC

Hi Pal42

You can check out the location of towers in your area using our Network Status tool

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
sysAdmin
Contributor
Contributor

Fastmile 5G 5G-24WA Rev02 Firmware Bug - 5G connectivity dropouts

Hello Optus,

Another bug in the firmware for you to troubleshoot to ensure you can provide the promised levels of service.

Last Thursday for unknown reason my Fastmile modem lost connectivity to the many 5G towers near my residence without any notification of an outage. Even though I scheduled a daily antenna sweep the modem could not find any 5G towers. It only connected to a very weak signal from a 4G tower quite some way away. This problem persisted for 4 days until I performed a software-reset of the modem using the https://192.168.1.254 interface. Then it connected to the nearest 5G tower immediately.

This tends to suggest a problem in your fastmile firmware that needs to be fixed.

For $75/mo it is not OK to expect users to continuously monitor and reboot the modem to maintain connectivity.

Steps you can take to fix this problem are:

1. Fix the NTP service so the router maintains the correct time so that scheduling functions and encryption protocols necessary for correct router operation function as intended

2. Add an option so users can schedule a daily reboot in the middle of the night at a time that does not disturb their home internet use so that the bugs that accumulate during running of the device can be flushed from RAM.

3. Adding a watchdog into the 'cron' of the device to poll the RRSP of the antennas at some frequency. When no RSRP is detected this should trigger more frequent scanning of the antenna for a signal, and after so many failures it should reboot the device without requiring the intervention of the end user or Optus support. 

For example, if cron was to run say 'sed' it could detect when there was no RSRP by seeing this in the device logs:

2020-10-08 18:00:20 info 3213 [antennamgr] Antenna sweeping KPIs for COLUMN_A: <no valid RSRP>
2020-10-08 18:00:30 info 3213 [antennamgr] Antenna sweeping KPIs for COLUMN_B: <no valid RSRP>
2020-10-08 18:00:41 info 3213 [antennamgr] Antenna sweeping KPIs for COLUMN_C: <no valid RSRP>
2020-10-08 18:00:51 info 3213 [antennamgr] Antenna sweeping KPIs for COLUMN_D: <no valid RSRP>
2020-10-08 18:01:02 info 3213 [antennamgr] Antenna sweeping KPIs for COLUMN_E: <no valid RSRP>

Then when this was logged the system could be programmed to sweep every three minutes for a signal until a 5G tower comes back online. Then 'sed' could count how many times this error appeared in say 30 minutes or one hour and if the count reached say 10, then the process would reboot the modem in case of a firmware bug needed to be cleared from RAM.

There are many ways to skin this problem, but this the procedure is one that I frequently use to keep remote sites connected to the internet with other service providers that provide network devices that are full of bugs but do provide command line access to the device.

Regards,

Doug

MichaelJa
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Optus,

I've had 5G installed for several months and experienced drop outs frequently. Last week, I decided to find out if there was more information about how the Nokia modem works. By using the Quick Start Guide that Optus supplied, I logged into the Router and found the name of the product.

I used this to find a copy of the modem at Nokia. After reading this, I discovered that I could Fix the reception difficulties by using a setting in Maintenance tab in the Router and following instructions in the manual.

This is FastMile Radio Management. I set my Antenna Sweeping Time to 2am when I'm not using the internet. I also figured that the reason I had poor 5G reception was showing as Disconnected. I clicked on circle at the bottom and the 5G was connected. I restarted the Modem & this caused the antenna to sweep to find the best direction for 5G at that time.

I wanted to share this with the Community as I couldn't find this solution a couple of months ago when I started searching for a solution.

0 Kudos
Tom2222
Contributor
Contributor

You are clearly outside the 5G Network. How you got signed up is a mystery.

Complain as much you want, it will result with not you want, Return Item, not that you own it anyway and move on.

Simple.
Nokia router is owned by Optus and must be returned on cancelled of service.
0 Kudos
MichaelJa
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Patience, perservance use what you can, ask for lower fees while waiting for improvement, use mobile's data and use savings on reduced fees to buy backup battery modemS
0 Kudos
MichaelJa
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Use the Optus App. The current version I haver on my phone has a 5G section that will help you locate all nearby towers
0 Kudos
MichaelJa
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Use the optus app. Doesn't need an optus account. Use 5 G part of app to check your address.

I read another post which had a link to 5G towers map put up by Optus on this blog
0 Kudos