Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

5G Home Broadband

Needing help with 5G Mobile Broadband?

Is Optus 5G Home Broadband available at your address?

You can find all the answers on getting started, setting up your modem and more!

If you have any questions on 5G Mobile Broadband, please comment below Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
9 Replies
New Contributor Uskompuf
New Contributor

Re: 5G Home Broadband

I am looking at your new coverage maps and it seems i should be in or near a 5g home broadband area, I tried my address and it said not available so i tried several address directly around the 5g tower and none were available, is the system not updated?

Can someone from optus check if i can trial the service i am 909m away from the tower.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi Uskompuf,

The address checker is up to date. Do you live in an apartment? 

The 5G Home Broadband service is only available in limited areas of selected suburbs on the Optus 5G Network with the modem supplied by Optus. There may be technical or other reasons that affect your ability to access the service at your address. The service check is an indication that you are within a 5G serviceable area, it does not guarantee that your address is 5G serviceable. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor Uskompuf
New Contributor

I don't live in an apartment.

I seem to be within metres of the coverage area is there any way for me to test the service I'm happy to report back?

Thanks please private message me for more info.
0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hey @Uskompuf  I've just messaged you 🙂 I'll post back here with final results.

0 Kudos
New Contributor Mitchmont94
New Contributor

Hi Optus,
I am also looking at your 5g broadband service as I am in a townhouse approximately 800m from the nearest 5g tower. When I check my address it says the 5g broadband is unavailable however less than 100m closer to the tower another house has it as available.
Is there anyway I could test to see if I can get a 5G signal in my house?
PS. We are currently using the 4g wireless option Optus offers which is ok most times, however we only get about max 25-30mbps down and are limited to 500gb downloads
Thank you
0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Afternoon, @ MITCHMONT94  

It's a tough one. We don't have a way to test 5G at your home address. At stage in the roll out, range is a big factor - even 100 meters could be the difference between a serviceable and non-serviceable property. Where are you located? 

--------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor David_M19
New Contributor

I hooked up my modem but i only get a red light in the middle and my laptop says no internet connection, i though it defaulted to 4g if i cant get a 5g signal. what am i doing wrong i did exactly what the start guide says. thanks.

0 Kudos
New Contributor Mitchmont94
New Contributor

Hi Dan,

I am located in Truganina near the Tower in Industrial Ave Hoppers Crossing.

I decided to try my luck at the Point cook Yes Optus store who did everything to help me however my property is literally less than 20m outside of the 5G serviceable area so unfortunately they could not help me.

I will say however that the team at that store were very friendly and did everything they could to find that answer for me, and Optus should be proud of the team at that store.

I have registered for updates via email so hopefully they find a way to boost that signal just a little bit more in the near future.

Thank you for replying

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

That's definitely a good idea. 

Generally, 5G coverage is determined by the distance the line of site between your home and the tower. Given that 5G operates over a higher frequency, range and increased susceptibility to obstructions are a drawback.

To counter the impact, our 5G Network is being deployed with a mixture of 4G and 5G technology. Small cells (mini base stations) will also form an important part of the Network, increasing capacity and network performance. 

--------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos