Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
McDean
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

5G Home Broadband unstable for days

Since Wednesday Morning, my 5G home broadband has been nearly unusable with high ping and many timeouts. Averaging around 3000ms ping. 

I have spoken to 3 people on Live chat and 2 people on the 5G support number and none of them have been able to help me... I have just been told to turn it off and on again which yes, fixes the issue for about 20mins before falling back into an unusable state... I have confirmed the issue is not on my end (within my home network) by running a number of Diagnostics on the Nokia Modem admin page which shows high ping/dropouts between the Nokia modem and the tower.

I have had this service now for 2 months and it has been working great, but come Wednesday everything has gone to hell. 

Every time I have to speak to someone, it takes about 20mins to explain to them it is not an issue with my speed nor the strength of my 5G connection, only that I'm getting 3second delays between packets...

Has anyone experienced this issue? How was it fixed? I am going to have to switch to NBN if this doesn't get fixed as I can not do my job in this state.

Results from pinging google in command line:

ping 8.8.8.8 -t

Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=896ms TTL=52
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=1846ms TTL=52
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=1782ms TTL=52
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=3742ms TTL=52
Request timed out.
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=3729ms TTL=52
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=3669ms TTL=52
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=325ms TTL=52
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=2648ms TTL=52
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=634ms TTL=52
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=2047ms TTL=52
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=3870ms TTL=52

0 Kudos
5 Replies
McDean
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: 5G Home Broadband unstable for days

I should also say my 5G modem is 90m away from the 5G tower and has a direct line of sight with only air between. Before this issue I was getting 380mbps DL and around 36mbps UL

LTE Link Status Connected (RSRP: -71 dBm)
5G Link Status Connected (RSRP: -72 dBm)

My connection never seems to drop down to 4G during these "unstable" times... Always a Green dot with a Green 5G LED.
0 Kudos
Tigers1719
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

@McDean  Any reported outages or maintenance at the tower?

https://www.optus.com.au/about/network/service-status

Have you tried rebooting or factory reset on the Nokai?

Maybe post in Whirlpool https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/thread/3ww4lzx3?p=104

I did read of a recent firmware update in the in the Whirlpool link above.

Please message Optus Support 24/7 from the My Optus app. If you do not have access to the My Optus app you can use social media to contact Optus Support, please send a PM to Optus on  Facebook or a DM on Twitter and include in the message you do not have access to the My Optus app.

I am an Optus user.
0 Kudos
McDean
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Tigers, No outages on Tower, the Optus Support people checked that first. I will give them another call on Monday as today their support phone line was down.
0 Kudos
Alken
Contributor
Contributor

im also having speed fluctuations ,im .45 of a km from the tower .If i stand on my roof can see the tower .I have green lights . 

It varies from 11.2 mbps ton175mbps 

Im wondering why no external antenna option on modem . 

My previous 4g mobile broadband was stable and i regret taking the 5g option 

0 Kudos
WallySerr
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi,

I was wondering if you have been able to resolve your issue? I am encountering the same issue you highlighted since yesterday.

Thanks in advance. 

0 Kudos
Top Contributors