cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

5G Home Broadband Upload Speeds

I have just signed up for 5G home internet and am really happy with the download speeds however the uploads speeds are terrible compared to my cancelled NBN cable. What can I do to achieve faster upload speeds? Currently luck if I get max 2.5MB/s in short bursts! Thank you, Glen

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: 5G Home Broadband Upload Speeds

Seems about right for the service (2.5MB/sec is 20Mbit).

Optus provides no guarantees for upload speed, only download speed.

The network (5g) capacity is spit into timeslots with more time being allocated to download vs upload, it's not a setting you or anyone in Optus support can change.

Majority of customers are after fast download speeds, and this is how it's setup.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
Highlighted

Hi there @glenj_1961, sorry to hear you're having some issues with the upload speeds on your 5G home broadband connection.

May I suggest trying the troubleshooting steps on 5G Home Internet troubleshooting: Poor or no signal to see if they improve your upload speeds?

I'd also recommend following the steps on setting up the Optus 5G Wireless Modem just to be sure your modem is placed in the ideal location/position.

Give the above a shot and let us know how you go.

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for that - I could live with constant (2.5MB/sec is 20Mbit) but I am lucky if I get that sustained upload speed for more than a second or so over a minute. I end up connecting my iPhone which is on the 5G network when I require uploading and achieve constant speeds of 1.5MB/sec to 4.5MB/sec. I would think that 5G is 5G so why the difference in the speeds between home and the mobile phone? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @glenj_1961 speeds are variable on the Optus 5G mobile network and will depend on a number of factors including congestion, location, local conditions, hardware, software and general internet traffic. However, we're constantly investing and upgrading our network to deliver better service and speeds to our customers.

If the issue still persists, please contact our 5G Technical Support team on → 1300 101 693 - Mon - Fri: 8am - 8pm Sat: 9am - 5pm (AEST) to assist you further.

Top Contributors