Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

5G Home Broadband Plans

Optus 5G Home Broadband is now available in selected areas with 2 plan options.

24 Month                         Month to Month
AlistarS_0-1572996500516.png      AlistarS_1-1572996662564.png

What are your thoughts on the 5G Home Broadband plans? Would you ever think to swap over your current home internet connection to 5G? 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: 5G Home Broadband Plans

I read the announcement this weekend. Must admit it did give me my first twinge of wondering if the NBN might not have an issue on its hands.

Of course Optus has the same constraint as NBNCo in that it needs to be profitable and competitive. That said, for the time being Optus (and all Telcos) will no doubt be providing pricing plans that bear no relation to this initial cost of rolling out 5G to each household. 

On the surface the plans Optus are offering are basically the same as their NBN counterpart ($70 NBN50 unlimited downloads). Optus would suggest you'll normally get 100Mbps+ though (although a sample size of 200 homes doesn't show what happens when that is ramped up nationally). 

Where Optus would appear to have a fantastic target market is in the FTTN areas (40-50%) of the NBN rollout footprint. NBNCo could see half its market share lost to the governments decision to use such limited technology. 

I'm happy with my 90Mbps landline NBN but at the end of the day the equation does simply come down to $/Mbps. If I can pay the same price and get twice the speed, I'd be very interested. I'd also be interested in upload speeds on Optus 5G (as the NBN is already looking to cut them down further). 

My side suggestion to Optus is that at the moment many people are interested in 5G but unsure how it would be in their homes. Optus should be outfitting their stores with a bunch of devices that can be loaned to a potential customer to take home and run an on the spot speed test (the device should be locked down to only do this one thing). People seeing numbers like 200Mbps would be signing up the next day IMO.

Peter Gillespie

Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: 5G Home Broadband Plans

Great summary @petergdownload , I also think for customers like myself or family that are on ADSL and having to use hotspot at times for a solid internet connection, this is a potential option moving forward. 

Yeah, as it's early days for the roll out and not so much demand on the network as yet, speeds are high. I'd be interested to see if/how much that dips within the next 6-12 month with more load on the network. If it remains strong a lot of people will be interested.

I totally agree, we get a lot of people asking to test first or " I'm just on the cusp of 5G " can I test to see what speeds I get so I can potentially move across. 

Until then, enjoy your 90Mbps 😉

0 Kudos
Top Contributors