Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Occasional Contributor Ponyman
Occasional Contributor

5G HOME INTERNET - Optus website time out and Chromecast stream error

Hey guys need your help.
Ive got two issues with 5g.

1. ALL Optus websites load so Incredibly slow that they time out (where every other website apart from Optus is instant. This occurs on all devices)

2. When I go to cast Optus sports to my chromecast, it times out and doesn't even open the Optus sport thing on the Chromecast. (This works perfectly on Telstra cable which leads us to it being the new modem issue and also works streams normally on our phones too ). I think it stems from problem 1.

I have also tried Nord vpn on my PC, and the Optus websites then load perfectly. Once the VPN is switched off, it cannot load them at all. I tried creating a mobile hotspot from my PC which has the 5g modem connected then transferring through the VPN to my Chromecast, and it still doesn't load Optus sports at all. I get a black screen then times out with a generic Chromecast help error. It is weird because we can stream Optus sports fine on my phone but can't cast at all. (Which is an anomaly because the internet before this casted perfectly. This 5g internet also casts kayo, Yt etc all perfectly fine.
Anyone else got the issues/any clue on what's going on?
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: 5G HOME INTERNET - Optus website time out and Chromecast stream error

That sounds like an issue with Optus headquarters. Possibly some sort of DNS or routing problem. Not likely your modern of other sites are working fine.

Check the outage page and perhaps contact Optus tech support direct. I reckon the Fox is on their end.
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Annotation 2019-12-30 162019.png

I have tried changing dns's on my phone to googles dns also and then resetting up the chromecast, but that still didnt work. Could we do anything with the apn settings? or we just have to wait for optus to fix this. (but they dont know how to)

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Nothing to do with APN or DNS, Optus need to have the service's HLR rebuilt.

1st level wont probably have any idea about it, would have to go up the chain.
Or you could contact Optus Directly through the social media team on Facbook/Twitter and they should be able to organise it.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Ref: https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Broadband-Telephony/Huawei-b525-unable-to-access-yescrowd-or-my-acc...

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
New Contributor Chris83
New Contributor

I too am experiencing this issue ever since my 5G upgrade, is there a resolution as yet?
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Not yet. Today they have passed it higher up the chain. So hopefully get resolved soon.
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Newtown_guy
Occasional Contributor

Last night found out we can add www.bom.gov.au and https://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/fire-information/fires-near-me to the list of websites that do not work unless you use a VPN.....is this something that can be fixed for all websites?
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

True. Doesn't work for me either.
Occasional Contributor

It's been a month now and still no resolution. No contact to let me know what's happening. But I do keep getting badges....
0 Kudos
Top Contributors